Hefeweizen Recipe for a noob - HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuisCheco

Reaction score
I wonder if any of you out there have a really good Hefeweizen recipe with very good and detailed instructions. If possible a Franziskaner clone recipe.

Some people said to try Malt recipe first and to do it for a few times then go for AG recipe when I feel comfortable enough.
So, if you guys have any Hefe Extract recipe (with very detailed procedures/instructions, tips) that will be great.

When I mean very detailed recipe, please include every I need to know:
  • Recipe Type(Extract, All Grain, etc.)
  • Yeast
  • Yeast Starter (if needed, I will order Dry Yeast because of the ditance of delivery)
  • Batch Size (Gallons)
  • Original Gravity
  • Final Gravity
  • Boiling Time (Minutes)
  • Color
  • Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
  • Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)- If needed
  • Brewing Instructions (when to add ingredients, hops, yeast, when to do it, etc.)

Sorry if I'm been to picky with the instructions.:p:D I don’t live in US, which means I don’t have a Local Brew Store near me where I can buy new ingredients if a mess up. There no culture of "home brewing" in my country.

I like hef, and I can't wait to have a recipe worthy of sharing. Unfortunately, all I have now is a tolerable one. It's funky and effervescent, but the clove and banana are way too understated.

My two cents...

i. The recipe JonM listed is pretty solid
ii. The best piece of advice I have is to control the temperature during primary fermentation. My first few attempts at a hefe were all less than spectacular. Each time I used the same recipe and didn't really nail it until I controlled the fermentation temp to ensure it stayed at about 68 degrees. This had such an impact on the overall quality of the beer it was unbelievable.

Hope this helps, and happy brewing...

My two cents...

i. The recipe JonM listed is pretty solid
ii. The best piece of advice I have is to control the temperature during primary fermentation. My first few attempts at a hefe were all less than spectacular. Each time I used the same recipe and didn't really nail it until I controlled the fermentation temp to ensure it stayed at about 68 degrees. This had such an impact on the overall quality of the beer it was unbelievable.

Hope this helps, and happy brewing...

The more I drink this hef I made, the more I like it. It's still young, which is good for a hef, and it has got rid of the young yeast flavor that plagued the first couple of bottles. But frankly I'm missing some of the clove spice I'd like. I'd even like a little more banana to go with it, although I don't like banana bombs like the Yazoo hef.

Anyway, I was wondering what you got from yours at 68, and what yeast you used.

I used Wyeast 3068 and got pretty much exactly what I was looking for, banana and clove…

I used Wyeast 3068 and got pretty much exactly what I was looking for, banana and clove…

Seconding this. I've used WLP300, same yeast, and made some great Hefes. Last couple of years though I've been doing WLP351 to great effect.

Using the right yeast and temp is huge if you want to impart the right flavor profile, since moving back to Germany I haven't been brewing Hefe. JBIII is 100% spot on with using 3068.

The OP wants to use dry yeast. I have made excellent Hefs with wheat extract, no grains at all. I done partial mashes with extract. All come out well with proper temp control. I have had good results with Danstar Munich at 17-18 Celcius. I don't prefer too much banana, so the slightly lower temps result in a nice balance.

Here's a classic Hefeweizen recipe from HBT : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35679

I brewed this a couple months back and it's definitely a winner. Go about 60/40 Wheat to Pils and you should be good on the grain bill. Rice hulls can save you a big headache on brew day (if you're brewing all grain). When using this much wheat in a recipe, hulls will help you avoid a stuck mash.

The OP wants to use dry yeast. I have made excellent Hefs with wheat extract, no grains at all. I done partial mashes with extract. All come out well with proper temp control. I have had good results with Danstar Munich at 17-18 Celcius. I don't prefer too much banana, so the slightly lower temps result in a nice balance.

How do you keep a proper temp control during fermetation?

Before I had a chest freeszer I would use wet t-shirts. The evaporation will keep it 3-4 degrees below room temp. I would re-wet the shirt every morning and when I got back from work. Even better if you can put them in a big plastic pan fopr plants filled with water and point a fan at them

Swamp cooler. Big bucket filled with water that you put your primary in. Add ice to maintain desired water temp. You can freeze some 1 liter bottles and use them and swap them out as needed. This is very effective as long as you monitor the water temp. You really are just concerned about the first stage of vigorous fermentation (3-4 days usually).

Hefeweizen recipes all are more or less the same. A base of 50-65% wheat, with the remaining amount being pilsner malt. Some add a little Munich malt to that, but most stick to that very basic formula.

This is a style that is ridiculously easy to brew with malt extract. Simply use your favorite wheat malt extract. You don't even need to steep any grains. Weizens get their character from the yeast. Normally I'm a fan of fresh liquid extract over dry, but this is the one exception that I make. For whatever reason, my hefes made from DME always turn out better.

Get your OG to about 1.049.

Use any noble hop, or one if its American versions. Hallertau, Tettnang, Liberty, Mt Hood, etc, all work well. Hop it to ~14 IBUs.

Then get yourself a good weizen yeast. The Weihenstephan strain works great. Ferment in the low 60s if you can. A common mistake new brewers make (I did myself when I first brewed one of these) is they think if they ferment higher, they'll get more banana character. In theory it sounds great. In practice it usually doesn't turn out so well. 62-65 degrees is the sweet spot.

I wonder if any of you out there have a really good Hefeweizen recipe with very good and detailed instructions. If possible a Franziskaner clone recipe.

Some people said to try Malt recipe first and to do it for a few times then go for AG recipe when I feel comfortable enough.
So, if you guys have any Hefe Extract recipe (with very detailed procedures/instructions, tips) that will be great.

When I mean very detailed recipe, please include every I need to know:
  • Recipe Type(Extract, All Grain, etc.)
  • Yeast
  • Yeast Starter (if needed, I will order Dry Yeast because of the ditance of delivery)
  • Batch Size (Gallons)
  • Original Gravity
  • Final Gravity
  • Boiling Time (Minutes)
  • Color
  • Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
  • Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)- If needed
  • Brewing Instructions (when to add ingredients, hops, yeast, when to do it, etc.)

Sorry if I'm been to picky with the instructions.:p:D I don’t live in US, which means I don’t have a Local Brew Store near me where I can buy new ingredients if a mess up. There no culture of "home brewing" in my country.
I brewed this one and it was very yummy and simple to make
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=186432

Thank you everyone for these great recipes and tips!!! I really appreciate all this help.

I will definitely try a few of these recipes.

Best Regards,
Luis

Here is a extract recipe I like to use:

Batch Size: 5.0 gallons (fermentor volume)
Fermentation Temp: 62F - 68F

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV: 4.76%
IBU: 9.13

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.5 lb - German - Melanoidin

HOPS:
0.75 oz - German Hersbrucker @ 60 min
0.3 oz - German Hallertau @ 30 min
0.25 oz - German Hersbrucker @ 15 min

YEAST:
First Choice: Danstar - Munich Dry Wheat Yeast
Secondary choice: WLP300 White Labs Liquid Hefeweizen Yeast

Ferment 7-10 days (when FG is hit).
Bottle or keg, ready when carbonated.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

I'm quite the new-brewer myself but I've done one Weiss beer that came out good for a first go:

Ingredients-
3kg Liquid Wheat Malt Extract
1kg Light Dry Malt Extract
1 11.5g pack of Safbrew WB-06 Yeast (I also had one extra pack as a back up)
57g Perle Hops added at start of boil
14g Saaz Hops added at 45 minute mark
8g Saaz Hops added at 58 minute mark

Approximate OG: 1.048
Approximate FG: 1.008

I re-hydrated my yeast following Palmer's method before pitching it. Allowed 10 days at 18°-19°C for primary fermentation, bottled (no secondary fermentation), carbonated with table sugar, and allowed 7 days to fully carbonate.

Best of luck!

Lashack, thanks for posting your recipe. I brewed it last week and kegged it last night. Turned out great!

Back