Dry hopping IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancness

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good type of hops to use for dry hopping my IIPA?

I am brewing the Brewer's Best IIPA kit, which included 2 oz Columbus bittering, 1 oz Columbus flavoring, and 1 oz Columbus aroma.

Here is a link to the brewing directions:

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1045_Imperial_Pale_Ale.pdf

Can anyone recommend what hops and how much I should use for dry hopping this baby?

Thanks in advance.

Cascade, Amarillo & Simcoe

Depends on how hoppy you want it, I would add .75 oz of each, and let it dry hop for 5-7 days.

All 3??? Wow you're quite the adventurous type. I've heard Cascade is really good, I think I'll do 2 oz of them. I'm a noob at this so I don't want to get too crazy with it. Small steps.

Thank you for the advice.

Why not columbus? Do a single hop, just to get familiar w Columbus(unless you already are). Otherwise SIMCOE!!! Hopslam is all simcoe dry hopped and its great! Cascade, Amarillo and Simcoe would surely be great as well. If you did .75oz of each it would be 2.25oz, which should be good. You could even do 1oz of each, for 3oz total. 2-4oz in an IPA(esp IIPA) is pretty typical. Good luck!

I've been wanting to experiment w Columbus myself, haven't really tried them, but I recently scored a lb of Millennium hops that are a cross of Columbus and Nugget, can't wait to give those a whirl!

I used 2 oz Amarillo in my last IIPA and it came out really good. I wanted to use Simcoe but LHBS was out, so I settled for Amarillo instead.

Wow that's a good idea too. Keeping it all Columbus.

Ahhh decisions decisions.

It really is a great way to become familiar with a certain hop, then formulate recipes around what kind of flavor/aroma you're going for.

After doing an all-amarillo and all-chinook, I decided to make my Chicamarillo IPA - using Chinook, Cascade and Amarillo....it was incredible!!

I still need to do an all-cascade brew, but the spicy citrus from them really went well with the chinook/amarillo!

All-amarillo with amarillo and simcoe in the dryhop was an incredible combo also!! There are several recipes on here that use Simcoe and Amarillo in the boil as well as dry hops(lake walk pale comes to mind).

Good luck! I'm sure whatever you decide will come out tasty!!

It really is a great way to become familiar with a certain hop, then formulate recipes around what kind of flavor/aroma you're going for.

After doing an all-amarillo and all-chinook, I decided to make my Chicamarillo IPA - using Chinook, Cascade and Amarillo....it was incredible!!

I still need to do an all-cascade brew, but the spicy citrus from them really went well with the chinook/amarillo!

All-amarillo with amarillo and simcoe in the dryhop was an incredible combo also!! There are several recipes on here that use Simcoe and Amarillo in the boil as well as dry hops(lake walk pale comes to mind).

Good luck! I'm sure whatever you decide will come out tasty!!

How was the Chinook as a dry hop? I have a about 1/2 lb left, and was considering using them as a dry hop, but htought they would be a bit on the resinous side of flavor.

Im sry im new at home brewing. What is "Dry Hopping"? and why would you want to add additional hops to your brewers best kit when they already come with the hops needed?

Dry hopping is when you add hops directly to the fermentor once fermentation is complete but prior to bottling/kegging. It adds additional aroma and flavor to your beer, some of which got boiled off during your wort boil. Dry hopping is especially popular with "big beers" or beers with high OG that will likely finish with a high ABV%, although dry hops can be added to many other beers as well for a custom finish.

Why would you add more hops than the kit came with? Because hops are DELICIOUS lol!

Chinook was great, and I've heard good things about dry hopping with them, that they really add a bigger hoppy mouthfeel. I used a 2:1 ratio Amarillo/Cascade(2):Chinook(1). It was a glorious brew that got a lot of praise from fellow brewers at my last brew meet. I'm sad to be down to 3 bombers :(

"Biggerthanyou":I'd do a search on dry-hopping, but its basically to add a big hop aroma, that most people love about IPAs. During the boil, even if you add hops at the VERY end of the boil, you don't get a ton of aroma from them, so if you want that huge aroma, you gotta dry hop. Its not necessary though.

Back