I effed the Cold Break...what can I expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Brew-ness

Reaction score
Me...on a first go round with a wort chiller...failed to realize that the tip of my dial thermometer was very near the wort chiller and gave a cooler temp than the rest of the wort. Surprised by how fast the wort chilled, I rushed w/o thinking about it, and poured my wort through a nylon mesh strainer into my primary fermentor. Anyone have any ideas on what I can expect...given that my wort was near 80 F when I poured it into the primary?

I am guessing that I aerated the whole mess and it will end up being duff....

Should I scrap it and start again, or give it a while and see what happens?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I always strain my wort through a metal mesh strainer, from a decent height too. It usually ends up in my bucket super foamy. I've turned out one decent beer using this method and I though I did a great job of oxygenating the wort. Am I really getting hot side aeration?

OP, You want the air to get into it when it goes to primary. The yeast need that extra oxygen to do their yeasty thing. Nearly 80 F? that's no problem either, it's only a touch high, nothing to worry about. Sounds like you did a good job. Not such a good job of relaxing though! ;)

Back