Brewing without base malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a large quantity of specialty grains, and not much base malt (or free cash). I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on some recipes for summer brewing that will make the best use of these grains, but not getting too dark if possible, I just brewed a few dark batches. I brew 15 gallon AG batches. Here is what I have a lot of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Caramunich (40#)
chocolate malt (40#)
Carapilsen (20#)
Munich (20#)
Special roast (20#)
Roasted Barley (20#)
Crystal 60 (10#)
flaked wheat (12#)
flaked oats (8#)

Thanks! :mug:

it mostly an issue of diastatic power, I think the caramunich, carapilsen, and munich will work as base malts. but I have to look up there enzymatic power to be certain.
EDIT: it looks like munich is the only one with enough enzyme activity to convert.

Munich definitely can be by iteself (a traditional Dunkel is 100% Munich) and it makes a really tasty beer. I'm not sure about the cara* malts, but if you look up their diastatic powers you can usually make a guess how well they'll work in terms of chemistry - the flavour is another question entirely.

The only malt on your list with sufficient diastatic power to act as a base malt is Munich. Unfortunately, Munich (generally speaking) only has sufficient diastatic power to convert itself. Thus, any specialty grains you wish to add to the recipe must not require conversion.

That said, you can make a hell of a beer with a 100% Munich grist. It's going to be chewy, malty goodness. Not much of a summer beer, but good beer nonetheless. ;)

Seek balance with the hops schedule. Use the most noble European hops you can find. Hallertau, Tettnang, etc.

Cheers,

Bob

You could probably make a beer like Brad's Munich-based stout (I think it was a stout).

That's a LOT of chocolate malt and roasted barley - who keeps 60# of dark roasted grains around?! :eek: ;)

You could probably make a beer like Brad's Munich-based stout (I think it was a stout).

That's a LOT of chocolate malt and roasted barley - who keeps 60# of dark roasted grains around?! :eek: ;)
I forgot all about that beer! :eek: I need to make more of that, it's REALLY tasty and I have a sack of Munich II sitting here begging for some stouty goodness (also the aforementioned 100% Munich Dunkel, can't wait to make that - triple decoction time!).

Thanks for all the great advice. I was given most of the grains from a friend and I wanna use them up before they get stale. It looks like it may be a Dunkel!

That's a lot of specialty grains. If I were you I would try and contact local brewers and swap some specialty grain for 2 row. Or buy a 55 lb bag of it and start brewing:rockin: Charlie

Latest posts

Back