acetate caused by sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It had been about 6 months since my last home brew was made so I had taken a little extra care when cleaning and sanitizing everything. It was a little longer of a brew day as it had been a while since my last one. Everything seemed to go well though. Used liquid yeast to pitch, sanitized the outside of the wyeast bag and the scissors. Fermentation went well. Then it came to bottling time.

After being bottled for two weeks, it gets this nail polish remover taste and smell to the beer. I know I'm getting everything good and clean/sanitized. The beer tastes great before bottling. Could it be something with the sugar that is getting the yeast to produce this off flavor or am I maybe not being as clean as I though?

Another batch is getting close to bottling time and a different method of getting carbonation will be used. But I was just wondering if anyone else has had any issues like this.

The sugar was dextrose from a little local natural shop. They have a bunch of it bagged by the brewing stuff.

Any questions, please feel free to ask. And thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

Sounds more like your ferm temp got too high and created fusels. What temp did you ferment at?

Table sugar or dextrose (what you had) doesn't cause that. I suppose it could be an infection, sometimes those happen in spite of our best efforts.

You did boil the sugar in a little water before adding? Not that I've ever heard of something growing on sugar, it would dry the liquid out of any living microorganism.

The temp was kept at around 68. That's what was recommended for the recipe. I do boil it as well. I was thinking maybe from the way the sugar could be reprocessed, maybe?..... My uncle brews too and he said he's ended up with off flavors when using the sugar from this place too.

I didn't use a started. The SG was 1048 so it didn't seem needed.

If the beer was 68 that ought to be OK, but if the room temp was 68 then the beer might've been in the low 70's and thats getting a bit warm and could promote fusel production. Especially if you had a low pitch rate. if the yeast was fresh I agree you probably wouldn't need a starter, but if the viability was low due to age or handling of the yeast then that contributes to fusels/esters also. The beauty of a starter is that you get the yeast going and if theres a lot of dead cells the live ones will multiply and preplace them.

I don't buy that there is anything wrong with the sugar, you're most likely on the wrong track with that. I wouldn't bother buying priming sugar though, just use table sugar.

could it be that your racking cane wasn't sanitized? I often find that keeping tubing clean and sanitary is a bit tough. If it's been six months or so, since you last brewed there could've been some nasties growing.
Also, were all of the bottles equally acetate-y?

The room temp was at about 60-65. Me and my roommate have no issues with the cold so no heat is on durning the winter.

The wyeast pack was manufatured that month (brewed in late February). But I will continue to watch for older yeasts. Making starter is fun, means brew day is coming. haha.

I'll also give table sugar a try for bottling soon.

Due to how long I hadn't brewed, I bought a new racking cane. That might not have been needed.... but better safe then sorry? I'll look at my sanitization methods again see if I might be missing something.

Thanks for the comments so far! :)

Back