Cider- FIRST ATTEMPT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayflyer55

Reaction score
This is the first attempt at brewing hard cider. I've kept the recipe very simple so far, just with 2 gallons of cider from the local orchard and about 3/4 a cup of brown sugar.

I let it brew for about 2 days and tasted, and it tastes sweet, but somewhat bland, like apple juice. Although it is sweet now, after reading posts I'm a little worried it will turn out dry with the little amount of sugar I added.

Can I add more brown sugar or honey now while it is still in primary?

And one more thing, I used yeast meant for beer (specifically for an IPA) since it was all I had on hand. Will this affect taste?

Thanks for your help.

Yes you can add more sugar/juice/honey to primary, the question is do you really want to? If you're concerned about the sugar you initially added drying out the cider, adding more sugar at this point won't sweeten it, it'll only dry it out more. It's still fermenting in primary, the taste is going to continue to change. Often the apple flavour will fade & come back, and you'll have some additional flavour from the brown sugar. I think your best bet at this point is to just leave it alone & let the yeast do their thing. When it clears, take a hydrometer reading (be sure to taste the sample) & if it's ready, bottle it. Regards, GF.

Ditto to what Gratus told you...let it sit as is and use your hydrometer to track it. If you want it sweet, just cold crash it. Since you only have 2 gallons you can just keep it in the fridge without worrying about fermentation restarting.
The yeast will make a difference. I have no idea how that yeast will act for cider. I suggest you look at the sticky by C..Kevin at the top of the page. He goes through the characteristics of different yeast. (I like the 04) and will explain cold crashing if you are not familiar with it. Good Luck

Back