Help with some John Bull hopped Dark Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undallas

Reaction score
Hello fellas,

About 1 month ago, I used half of my 3.3# JB hopped dark extract for my oatmeal stout. THus, I still have 1.6# of dark hopped LME around.

I wonder if anyone has recommendation on how to use this up?
I think I'm going to pitch on top of my dunkleweizen yeast cake next week.
Probably make a 4gallon batch to prevent overflow due to aggressive reactions from the yeasties.

I'm open to any style.. maybe a porter? coffee porter?

thanks

ps- maybe I should get beersmith to do this job...

Just look for a recipe you like that uses this malt. You should be able to find a nice porter. Don't try to keep that malt unless you put some CO2 gas on top of it in a sealed plastic food grade container. It could get nasty.

Just look for a recipe you like that uses this malt. You should be able to find a nice porter. Don't try to keep that malt unless you put some CO2 gas on top of it in a sealed plastic food grade container. It could get nasty.

Does LME get bad that quick? I stored it in a air tight container inside my fridge, but it didn't have any CO2 purging.

I wonder how my LHBS store their bulk LME... I'm not aware of any CO2 line into their big 15 gallons barrel.

Just curious..:confused:

Back