Dry Hopping "Gunk"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
Last night I bottled my beer that had been dry hopping for 10 days in the secondary. I woke up this morning to see how things were going, held a bottle up to the light and had some hop matter floating around in there. I strained it however some must have gotten through. Will this settle to the bottom like the yeast over the next two to three weeks?

I haven't ever had a problem with it so I can't say for sure. I would think it's going to be fine and it will settle.

Its A-OK to have gunk in the bottles. I've had white stuff floating around in bottles, the important thing is to let the bottles condition in peace for a few weeks and then look at them. Remember that once you bottle them, you're waking up the yeast again to do some more fermentation for carbonation reasons. This'll create both junk floating in the beer as well as more trub at the bottom of each bottle. Even if you do get a little hop material in there, you can just say that you've got a special Bottle-Dry-Hopped edition beer :)

Back