U.S. Hops Rhizome Sources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All sites are either (out till March) or taking pre-orders. They just do not get dug up till then. check out my deal for group members. So hold on to your pots,shovels,hoes ect. If its nice enough were u r get your garden ready.

I will have limited varities of Rhizomes. Cascades and Chinooks are on my site others will be added soon

coloradoorganichops.com [email protected]

Happy Almost Hoppin Glen

I decided to try my hand at building a hop trellis and growing fresh hops this season. I was pleased to see that for the first time AustinHomeBrew.com had hop rhizomes available. This was there first year selling rhizomes and shortly after receiving mine, they sent me a survey to see how my experience was.

I must admit, I had never seen a hop rhizome in person so I had no clue what to expect. They arrived and each were contained in there own paper bag which was nice. However, several of them were very flimsy and stick-like. They did not look very viable, but hell, what do I know...

On a funny side note, I was going to place a link in this post directly to them on the Austin site but they have since removed all reference to rhizomes which I find very odd. At least leave them there and put 'Out of Stock' so people at least know that you sell them!

Anyway, I digress... I bought mine for approximately $5.99 each and bought 3 cascade (which I brew with most), 3 Centennial, and 2 Fuggle. They have been in the ground at my house in southern NJ for over a month, and only 2 of the Centennial have breached the soil.

I feared that I had put them too deep into the soil so I ended up digging up the 6 that had not sprouted yet to see if they had signs of life and 3 of them did and would have been close to breaching soil had I not dug them up.

I replanted them 2" under the soil this time instead of 6" in hopes that they will still grow. I am not sure what to do with the others. I might pull them out and try using root-tone on them. I have done this in the past with other plants and hope this works on rhizomes. Any advice would be much appreciated on this subject. :mug:

Back