Need recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
I am getting better and better making my own recipes based off of other recipes here on HBT but I have ran into a problem today. I have several hop varieties and I am not sure what to make with what I have.

I am basically sticking with a basic malt profile - 2 Row and Crystal. I used some Biscuit in a Citra IPA that is currently fermenting and I am open to other options as well

Here'a what I got:
2 oz Citra - I may use these to dry hop my Citra IPA, depends on on the 3 week taste sample
2 oz Galena
1 oz Chinook
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Willamette

Any opinions?

Use the Galena as a bittering hop. You could do a lot of things with the rest. I would go with Chinook and Willamette at 10-15 minutes and cascade and citra at 5-0 minutes. Dry hop with your leftovers. You have a lot of potent pacific northwest hops, it will be hard to mess up.

Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards using both Galena for bittering and possibly a bit of Chinook.

As I have only concentrated on the Malt and Hops in my recipes I am now wanting to try different yeasts. I have always relied on White Labs - 001 (California Ale) but I am wanting to try something different.

My malt profile will probably just be 2 Row and Crystal.

Yeast Possiblities:
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale
Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II
Wyeast 1332 - Northwest Ale

Which would be the best with my avaliable hops?

Brewstore was out of 1056 so I got 1272 in place of it along with 1332 since these hops have a pacific profile. Brewday is next Saturday so I have time to decide between the two.

Here's what I just came up with. Not sure if I want to make an IPA or just a Pale.

Estimated OG - 1.057
IBU - 46.7
Color - 9.0
Est ABV - 5.6
Est FG - 1.014

Grain:
11 lbs 2 Row
1 lb Caramel/Crystal 60

Hops
.75 Galena (12.5%) - 60 min
.25 Chinook (13.00%) - 15 min
.50 Citra (12.00%) - 10 min
.25 Cascade (5.50) - 10 min
1.00 Willamette (5.50) - 5 Min

Went to homebrew store and they were out of 2-row so I got Marris Otter instead.

How will this change the above recipe? Seems like it is going to be an English Pale Ale with Pacific hops.

No Maris otter is just a solid grain. Should give you a great backbone so you can go ahead and hop the hell out of it.

No Maris otter is just a solid grain. Should give you a great backbone so you can go ahead and hop the hell out of it.

Agreed. I don't tend to stock 2 kinds of pale malt at a time so I'll often make my American IPA's/PA's with MO. In fact I've come to prefer it over the domestic 2-row the LHBS sells. With American yeast and hops mine don't resemble English styles at all.

Regarding your earlier post OP, 1056 and WL001 are basically the same strain so if you wanted to try a different yeast it's probably good they were out.
:mug:

Regarding your earlier post OP, 1056 and WL001 are basically the same strain so if you wanted to try a different yeast it's probably good they were out.
:mug:

That's funny. I just realized I had posted advice for the OP to go for the 1056. For some reason had 1060 in mind.

I will be brewing this on Saturday and torn between Wyeast Northwest and Wyeast American Ale II. Leaning toward Northwest as I have a lot of Pacific style hops.

Latest posts

Back