Do I grind up frozen raspberries or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
Hi I got some frozen raspberries to add to my raspberry wheat ale (it's done fermenting and I already added some near the end of the boil). Do I need to grind them up in the food processor or will they dissolve just adding them?

Thanks guys!

Never done fruit, so I can't give you a definitive answer. But based on what I have seen, just dump it in as is.
Consider this a free bump. Hopefully, one of the "fruity experts" will stumble in and help you out.

You're best off putting them through several freeze-thaw cycles, to ensure more of the cell walls burst, releasing the juice. One cycle will sometimes do the trick, but I like to make sure by using at least a half-dozen. :D

Bob

This response proves my maxim.

You're best off putting them through several freeze-thaw cycles, to ensure more of the cell walls burst, releasing the juice. One cycle will sometimes do the trick, but I like to make sure by using at least a half-dozen. :D

Bob

C'mon dude! That is that cool magazine with the hot chicks! Don't know what it has to do with this thread though...:drunk:

I think that it has an indirect correlation (somehow) that relates back to that old list of 'Why beer is better than women' list that is floating around the interwebz. (Being able to drink more than one, sharing with the friends etc)

But Maxim is a tasty magazine. It also reminds me of how lucky I am that I only LOOK at the candy within (and not have it living with me)

Cause you can look at the menu all day long, but as soon as you order then you gotta pay.
-Me

Allright lets get back on track. The man has a valid Q. I'm doing a Petes Winter Wicked Ale clone today and it has rasberries. I'm going to crush the crap out of mine becaues fresh fruit or fresh frozen is going in at 1min, thats no time for a boil to break them down.If you need any more help check out the jamal show on the brewing network.Good luck and have an awsome brew day.

Back