Another hello from Utah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

Reaction score
I just joined today and look forward to talking to other lovers of the craft.
I am still fairly new to homebrewing (about 6 months) but i am already working on my 10th batch. I'm originally from Long Beach California but am now landlocked in the suburbs of Salt Lake. I have always loved GOOD beer but the stupid laws here force me to drive all the way to the state run liquor store to get good beer at a marked up price and even then the selection isn't great and they don't supply my favorite microbrews (like Stone Brewing). But the laws here did make me seek out homebrewing, so i guess there not all bad.........nah who am i kidding they suck!

Well i look forward to getting to know you all. cheers! :mug:

Hey Christian welcome to the boards, I'm new to these boardstoo and also Utah. I share the frustration with the inability to have a good beer selection and I am soooo tired of the local bartenders trying to explain to me that the beer served in Utah is no different than anywhere else..... Spare me.
I'm originally from Michigan we had some great micros there. I have been brewing for 15 years and am very interested in getting connected with some local home brewers here. I am in Eden (near Ogden), lets stay in touch.

Gregg

I hope the laws get changed here. It seems political influence for the tourism industry is our best friend. Unfortunately they do not care about home brew.
I don't have a real problem with the liquor stores down here in St. George. Both are close enough to ride my mountain bike to and grab a sixer. Selection is not so bad, and prices on some imports are better than in Nevada! I guess things are a little different up there? I do enjoy a short Sunday drive to Mesquite every once in a wile.
It's nice to see other Utan's in the mix here. Happy brewing.

I share the frustration with the inability to have a good beer selection and I am soooo tired of the local bartenders trying to explain to me that the beer served in Utah is no different than anywhere else..... Spare me.
Gregg

I hate to laugh,

Believe it or not, Utah has changed alot ( for the better ) in the last 20 -25 years.

I know it is kind of culture shock comming to Utah. Iv'e been here my whole life, but my wife is from Germany, and some of the things here never fail to amaze her ( some for the good - some for the bad ).

Like I always tell her, "You didn't come to America, You came to Utah.

The liquer laws here are really stupid, but laws = control and control = tax dollars, Utah really likes it's tax dollars !!!

But a few silly laws, and a few self righteous people aside, Utah doe's have alot to offer...........................:D

Thanks all,

Yeah Conroe, Greggor and Borrisbbadd, the laws here are strange. But all in all they aren't as bad as some think. It just takes some getting used to and learning the ins and outs. In Salt Lake the selection at the liquor stores aren't too bad but but aren't great. I live in West Jordan and the store here is terrible, i tried talking to the manager to request things but he doesn't seem willing to. So if i want a decent selection i have to drive downtown. Which i do often anyways since The Beer Nut is downtown.The Beer Nut homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Well it's good to meet you all, we should all stay in touch and maybe have some brew parties. :tank:

I guess I have to credit the dumb Utah laws, terrible selection in the state liquor stores and wimpy beers served in the pubs to get me back into homebrewing. Would love to get together some time to get some feedback on my beers. Currently have 2 English bitters in my fermentor and will be ready for drinking this weekend, also planning to go up to the October Fest at Snow Bird this weekend. Lastly want to check out the Belgian that squatters put out recently (if I'm not too late), been reading about it.

I'm really interested in getting involved with a home Brew club but haven't found one yet.

Gregg

Back