Breweries near Lowell, MA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scraggybeard

Reaction score
I have a trip to Lowell, MA coming up and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for breweries to hit in that area or Boston. Thanks in advance.

There's a Brewpub down town called Lowell Beer Works. Several types of beer and decent food.

There are a ton of new and established breweries in and around there. Part will depend on how far you are willing to travel.
There isn't a lot right in Lowell at this point, Beer Works is pretty much it.
If you are willing to travel, it opens things way up. There is Riverwalk and Newburyport in Newburyport, Cape Ann in Gloucester,
Jack's Abby in Framingham, Greater Boston has Trillium (world class,) Harpoon, Sam Adams, Mystic (Everett) Aeronaut(Somerville) Cambridge Brewing Co (Cambridge - brewpub) Further out is Tree House in Monson (also world class; though an hour plus drive from Lowell)
in New Hampshire there are Throwback, Smuttymose, Earth Eagle, Portsmouth (brewpub) IncrediBREW, Martha's Exchange (brewpub) Border, among others.
Into Maine (also not far) you have Tributary, Allagash, Bissell Brothers, Austin Street and Foundation (those 4 are literally a stone's throw apart on one street in Portland) Maine Beer in Freeport, Gneiss in Limerick, along with several more in Portland area alone.
I don't know bottle shops in the Lowell area, but you should be able to find most of these, and many others, fairly easily.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Got to a few of them and ended up hitting Trillium on my way to the airport. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that they only do take-out so I ended up sipping on my 32ozs of SummerStreet in the rental car return lobby. Absolutely worth it!

Man, the way travel works these days, that was probably the high point of your trip...

Cheers! (note to self: take beer to rental agency ;))

Back