Fermentation Chamber - Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdalisx

Reaction score
So after thinking about if for a couple of months I have decided I need a fermentation chamber so that I can better control my temps.

I live in an apartment and therefore space is limited, so I will be limited to a chamber with a 1 carboy capacity (~4.5cu ft I believe).

My question is this:

Should I build a chamber from scratch using the guts of a cheap mini fridge for cooling or should i buy a small ~4.5cu ft fridge and use it as is less a couple minor tweaks to make it better insulated. Both would be hooked up to a temp controller.

I don't a problem with DIY stuff, I am looking more at it from a perspective that at this point i only need one for 1 carboy and don't want to spend a ton of time/money... just need something that will keep a temp and hold me until i have more space and can build a larger / better chamber.

If I build my own from scratch, I would do something similar to
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/fermentation-chamber-w-refrigeration-35125/

thanks for any input you all have!

A lot of people just take the door off their fridge and build a foam chamber around the fridge. Essentially just expanding their fridge space.

Foam board is relatively cheap. You could always expand it in the future if you need more space.

I don't know if you'd be able to get a carboy in a 4.5 cu ft fridge... the compressor shelf gets in the way.

5 gallon carboys fit some fridges. I managed to squeeze one into a 4.4 cu ft Danby DAR125SSLDD http://www.danby.com/product/DAR125SLDD/1

Also this fridge holds two Corny kegs. I am using corny's for primary fermentation with a blow off tube hooked up to the "Gas In" line just now. Just a thought if you want to double up.

Back