My experience swirling the primary after getting impatient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezatnova

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share what I just did in the event it may help others down the road. Started this batch of spiced pumpkin (partial grain, canned pumpkin - in a grain bag so most could be removed). Used a wyeast packet that had been smacked 30 hours prior. Unlike the last two I've used that nearly exploded in 12 hours, this one was barely swollen, so I knew the yeast count was down, but I didn't have time to do a starter.
Pitched it and waited...two days, still nothing. I'm impatient and was getting concerned, so I thought, what the heck, and swirled the primary bucket a bit. I'm not talking violently or shaking by any means, just a few good swirls. Wouldn't you know it, right then the airlock started going and it has continued ever since (slowly but steadily) for hours now. I'm convinced it gave the batch the kick start it needed. On the other hand, I'm sure it was just about ready to start bubbling the airlock on its own anyway, but I just kicked it in high gear.
So, fingers are crossed that this pumpking batch turns out! I added some extra spice since I like the pumpkin-pie flavor. Tasted what I used to take the OG reading and man was it strong in spice...perhaps a bit much. I'm not panicing too much since A) probably most of the heavy spice settled to the bottom where my spigot is that I took the sample from. And B) I imagine it will mellow a bit after fermentation and a few weeks in the secondary.

must be that time of the year. I too have a pumpkin ale in the primary since early monday morning. Used dry T-58 and with all that I have read I expected a huge thunder of fermenation fun. I have kept it cool around 65-70 and honestly it was very noneventfull. I will be checking the SG in about a week to see where it has gone. SG was 1.050

Back