Plastics.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSAstoria

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, and I apologize for re-opening the topic. That being said...

I'm still a long way from going AG, but of course I'm looking at systems and thinking ahead. I'm planning to (someday) convert a Rubbermaid cooler into a MLT--all well and good.

Here's the problem. SWMBO is fanatical about plastics and safety, to the point that she refuses to let me use ANY plastic, even if it is bisphenol-A and phthalate free.

As you can see, we've obviously gotten into a scientific data duel--which I always lose because she fights dirty and says "well they haven't proven that ALL plastic is safe!"

Putting aside the problem of proving a universal negative, I've concluded that the process of wearing her down on this subject is going to be a lengthy siege warfare situation. In the meantime, my question is this:

What alternatives are there to mashing in a plastic container?

You can mash in an insulated stainless pot with a stainless false bottom. The plastic hose could be replaced with hi temp reinforced surgical hose and stainless clamps. You choose your own insulation for the pot. Use a stainless HLT to heat the strike and sparge water.

Latest posts

Back