Bugs Eating Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeropolis

Reaction score
This morning I noticed some flies and bugs hanging around my baby hops and then I noticed they've chewed some holes in the leaves. Should I worry? And if so, is there a way to make the bugs go away?

Have yet to encounter this after four seasons. I would use Sevin dust if it happened to me. I'm not sure if this is good advice or not, but that's where I'd start. You could also try removing the lower leaves if your plant is large enough (3+ feet) and that is all that the bugs are attacking. HTH

For the crawling bugs you can spray the base of the plants and the surrounding soil with just about anything from the local garden shop. I would skip the dusts since they can sometimes drift to places you dont want the chemicals. Depending on your personal aversion to pesticides you could lightly spray the plant from top to bottom to help with the flies. You can also look for bug nets to cover the plants with, that will keep them free of flyers.

Back