I will build your IPA/IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! My opinion is Citra plays a large part of aroma. I may work it in.

You might be right which is why I put Citra in the comments. Though I heard (and possibly incorrectly) that the head brewer at Alchemist doesn't really care for Citra.

You might be right which is why I put Citra in the comments. Though I heard (and possibly incorrectly) that the head brewer at Alchemist doesn't really care for Citra.

I'm basing this solely on memories of smells. Heady Topper is fresh cut grass, citrus, flowers, fields... It'll be a delicious experiment.

Love this idea

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 7.5
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): Bucket 6.5
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: Extract or Partial Mash (havent tried partial yet but looking to do it soon)
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: Not Yet
Are you able to rack to secondary?: Yes
Boil size (in gallons): 5
Batch size (in gallons): 5
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: SweetWater Brewing IPA, Southern Tier 2X IPA, Green Flash West Coast IPA
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Southern Tier Un-Earthly, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Bells Hopslam
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 7-9%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Starter No Problem
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 3
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 3
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 3-4
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 3

This is what I ended up for the hop bill, or at least until I change my mind - to be brewed this summer.

1 oz. Citra FWH 25 Min
1 oz. Columbus Boil 15 Min
1 oz. Chinook Boil 15 Min
1 oz. Centennial Boil 10 Min
0.5 oz. Amarillo Boil 10 Min
1 oz. Amarillo Boil 5 Min
1 oz. Simcoe Boil 5 Min
0.5 oz. Summit Boil 5 Min
0.5 oz. Summit Aroma 30 Min Post-Boil
0.5 oz. Centennial Aroma 30 Min Post-Boil
0.5 oz. Amarillo 30 Min Post-Boil
1.5 oz. Simcoe Dry Hop 9 Days
1.5 oz. Citra Dry Hop 9 Days
1 oz. Centennial Dry Hop 9 Days
0.75 oz. Summit Dry Hop 9 Days
0.75 oz. Amarillo Dry Hop 9 Days

Basically, your hop bill with the addition of Citra FWH and Dry Hop.

Love this idea

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 7.5
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): Bucket 6.5
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: Extract or Partial Mash (havent tried partial yet but looking to do it soon)
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: Not Yet
Boil size (in gallons): 5
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: SweetWater Brewing IPA, Southern Tier 2X IPA, Green Flash West Coast IPA
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Southern Tier Un-Earthly, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Bells Hopslam
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 7-9%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Starter No Problem
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 3
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 3-4
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 3

http://hopville.com/recipe/1388832/imperial-ipa-recipes/blitzkrieg-hop

Employ a full volume boil (no top off water) and you'll have something solid and hop-dominant that you can pull off rather well. Mash in a separate kettle at around 146-148 F.

I shall make this on May 17. We'll see how she goes! I think my LHBS is out of Amarillo, so I may sub with simcoe. But we'll see. Also depending on their prices for leaf hops, I may just go pellet. Again, we'll see.

Okay just took a sample and a grav. reading last night for the hell of it. I hit OG of 1.072, but it has attenuated WAY down to 1.006. Something not quite right, but it tastes good for a young beer that's nowhere near being done yet so I'm cool. 8.5%ABV... yikes.

May skip secondary, may not. Excited for the dry-hop stage!

This one is going in to some special larger bottles I have, and will be a "feature beer" that is pulled out solely to impress company.

Will probably brew it again with a tweak or two in the fall. Thanks again BobBrews!

Wow!! Good job if that's an accurate reading. I would love to get my IIPAs that dry. I thought you would hit 1.011 at best. It is odd considering you only missed the OG by .001 - I wouldn't worry too much though...The big tropical whirlpool and dryhop should add a nice perceived juicy sweetness.

What temp did you mash at, and did you do anything to aid attenuation other than using corn sugar and a starter of WLP001?

Looking forward to seeing your suggestion! Been struggling to come up with a good recipe to use some nice hops I have. I have 6oz Simcoe, 3oz Amarillo, and 2oz Citra (all pellets) available that I'd like to use in the recipe, but don't have to use every type or even all of a given type that I have. Obviously, I can pick up whatever other common hops that are usually available.

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 15 gallons
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): Carboy, 6.5 gallons
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: Extract w/ steeping grains
Do you BIAB? No
Are you able to rack to secondary?: Yes but prefer not to. Usually dry hop in keg.
Boil size (in gallons): 6.5
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Two Brothers Resistance IPA, Bell's Two Hearted, Stone IPA
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: 3 Floyd's Dreadnaught
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6.5-7
Can you make a yeast starter?: yes, 2L with stir plate
Quality expectation: 3-4, high to world class
Balance: 3, smooth, prominent bitterness
Body: 1-2, thin to moderate
Malt profile: 3-4, mild to low malt presence

Looking forward to seeing your suggestion! Been struggling to come up with a good recipe to use some nice hops I have. I have 6oz Simcoe, 3oz Amarillo, and 2oz Citra (all pellets) available that I'd like to use in the recipe, but don't have to use every type or even all of a given type that I have. Obviously, I can pick up whatever other common hops that are usually available.

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 15 gallons
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: Extract w/ steeping grains
Do you BIAB? No
Are you able to rack to secondary?: Yes but prefer not to. Usually dry hop in keg.
Boil size (in gallons): 6.5
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Two Brothers Resistance IPA, Bell's Two Hearted, Stone IPA
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: 3 Floyd's Dreadnaught
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6.5-7
Can you make a yeast starter?: yes, 2L with stir plate
Body: 1-2, thin to moderate
Malt profile: 3-4, mild to low malt presence

Can bitter with Warrior, Magnum, Columbus, etc. - I just wouldn't use the Simcoe, Citra, or Amarillo for bittering here.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1409930/american-ipa-recipes/everyday-ipa

This will be piney, a little citrusy, and clean with a hint of caramel and most likely finish around 1.014 with a big starter. If you want it to be more tropical and citrusy, focus on Citra in the dryhop (not Simcoe) and for the whirlpool addition go heavy on the Amarillo (not Citra).

I'm bored and I feel like sharing my hoppy brewing knowledge. I've won several homebrewing awards and people always ask me for advice, which I am flattered to provide. I tend to brew IPAs/IIPAs via partial mash that taste and smell similar to Surly Furious, Lagunitas Sucks, or Firestone Walker Union Jack. I can post recipe suggestions for extract and all-grain brewers as well. However, I do not guarantee that I will reply with a recipe if I don't agree with your responses.

Please post the following:
The only rule is that you must be able to brew via a full volume boil

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 8.5
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): 5.0
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: All Grain
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: Yes
Boil size (in gallons): 8.5
Batch size (in gallons): 5.0
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Like most of them, but lot's I haven't tried. Surprise me. Mostly looking to NOT use Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Simcoe, Amarillo as I want things using other hops.
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Same comment.
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6-7 ABV
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Yes, but usually use dry (washed yeast) as I am lazy and cheap
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 4
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 4
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel):
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character):

General: While I love those west coast IPA's and East Coast IPA's, I also like traditional (e.g. English Malts + EKG). I'm mostly looking for a recipe or two that doesn't use the 3 C's or Amarillo or Simcoe. (Or EKG for that matter, as I already have a great all EKG recipe.) I'm looking for an IPA that uses other hops...of which I have almost every kind.

THANKS!

bobbrews said:
Wow!! Good job if that's an accurate reading. I would love to get my IIPAs that dry. I thought you would hit 1.011 at best. It is odd considering you only missed the OG by .001 - I wouldn't worry too much though...The big tropical whirlpool and dryhop should add a nice perceived juicy sweetness.

What temp did you mash at, and did you do anything to aid attenuation other than using corn sugar and a starter of WLP001?

Mashed at 154, and used slurry from a wlp0001 yeast cake. I think it was 250ml, it was whatever mr malty said to.

Other than that it's just been fermenting all on its own in 64-68F darkness.

Bob. You are the man.

I am looking for an almost sessionable ipa, with the tops more on the dank side than fruity.

I would like to use the summit, Chinook, and the falconers flight hops that I have if possible, but I also have:

Columnus, Amarillo, simcoe, magnum, cascade, tettnang and saaz.

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 8 gallons
Carboy: 6.5 gallon
All-Grain
Do you BIAB? No
Are you able to rack to secondary?: no
Boil size (in gallons): 7.25
Batch size (in gallons): 5.5

3-5 favorite American IPAs: alpha king (close enough to ipa), sculpin, alesmith, miracle (clown shoes), 60min DFH

3-5 favorite American Imperial IPAs: Deviant dales, ruination, Avery DuganA, doublejack
desired alcohol level?: 6.0 - 7.0%
Can you make a yeast starter?: yes
Body: 2
Malt profile: 3

If I missed anything let me know.

Thanks!

When I think of sessionable, I think of in the 4% abv range or less. I wouldn't think a blast of dank & potent hops would pair well with such a crisp, clean, light pale malt base which is half the beauty of this type of beer. Also, I feel you would need a bigger beer to stand up to all of those resiny pungent hop oils. A sessionable IPA would pair better with hops like Amarillo & Cascade and have about 45 IBUs or less with plenty of late additions.

Summit is a good choice for dankness. Chinook and Columbus are good supporting hops. But Apollo is a very very very dank hop.

Let me know if that makes any sense, and what you decide.

I misused the word sessionble. I meant keeping it in the lighter side of the ipa range. Perhaps 6%ish

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick response

Bob. You are the man.

I am looking for an almost sessionable ipa, with the tops more on the dank side than fruity.

I would like to use the Summit, Chinook, and the Falconers Flight hops that I have if possible, but I also have:

Columnus, Amarillo, Simcoe, Magnum, Cascade

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 8 gallons
Carboy: 6.5 gallon
All-Grain
Are you able to rack to secondary?: no
Boil size (in gallons): 7.25
Batch size (in gallons): 5.5

3-5 favorite American IPAs: alpha king (close enough to ipa), sculpin, alesmith, miracle (clown shoes), 60min DFH
3-5 favorite American Imperial IPAs: Deviant dales, ruination, Avery DuganA, doublejack
desired alcohol level?: 6.0 - 7.0%
Can you make a yeast starter?: yes
Body: 2
Malt profile: 3

Thanks!

Here's my Sweet Syde: http://hopville.com/recipe/1418442/american-ipa-recipes/sweet-syde-ipa

IBUs will most likely be in the late 60's with the big whirlpool addition.

Okay, I posted a version or this request in another thread and then saw this one, so following your template, here is the info:

(Gallons are US standard size)

Kettle size (15.5g):
Carboy or Bucket? (13.2g):
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: All-grain
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: Nope, I use a keggle and two coolers
Are you able to rack to secondary?: yes
Boil size (in gallons): up to 14
Batch size (in gallons): 10.75 (out of BK, 10g into kegs)

List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Sebago Frye's Leap, DFH 60, Firestone Walker IPA, Half Pints' Little Scrapper IPA.
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Southern Tier Unearthly, Sebago Full Throttle, Weyerbach Simcoe IIPA, Warrior IIPA
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6 to 7% abv
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: either
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 4

Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): I'm not totally sure, it would be bewteen 2 and 3

Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 3-full body

Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character):
Sorry, I cant answer well from these options, please see below:

Aroma: lots of Pine and Citrus, resiny, possibly some malt. Very little or no yeast esters. Perfume-y notes from the hops are acceptable but not needed.

Flavour: Balanced, clean bitterness, must be malt-forward* with slight sweetness, and a hint of roastiness, and then have lots of pine + citrus, some spiciness is fine but not required.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full-bodied, resiny, smooth

Overall: Not a hop bomb, but sufficiently bitter to be balanced, a feast in a glass.

ABV = 6+%

*In terms of malt forward, for commercial examples, I love the Sebago Full Throttle, but want to avoid the medicinal / cloying character of the Harpoon Leviathan IIPA.

I have 5 new brews coming up at the end of June/Early July to fill up my kegs for the summer. I'm interested in brewing a recipe you provide.

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 10
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: AG
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: WTHIT?
Boil size (in gallons): Up to 9 gallons
Batch size (in gallons): Prefer 6 into fermenter
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Founders Centennial, Racer 5, Union Jack
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Ruination, Lagunitas Sucks, Maharaja
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: >7.5%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Yeast Starter
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 3.5
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2 I need to be able to knock back 3 a session

Really looking forward to this, thank you.

Hey all,
I recently purchased 2oz Nelson Sauvin(12.4%) and 2oz Pacific Gem(15%). I would like to make a strictly NZ hopped IPA. I know that I'll probably have to add to my hops, including an aroma hop with a lower AA. I'm mostly looking for suggestions for malts(partial/all grain), and a yeast, but would also like some guidance on the hop schedule. I'm relatively new to brewing, this will be my 4th batch.
Thanks for the input!
-sarah
SarahAtTwoSkirts

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 5gal
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): Carboy/5gal & 2 Buckets/6gal
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: Partial or All-Grain
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: No
Boil size (in gallons): 2.5gal (approx)
Batch size (in gallons): 5gal
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 5.5-9%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Would prefer liquid or dry yeast
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 2-3
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 2-3

I have 5 new brews coming up at the end of June/Early July to fill up my kegs for the summer. I'm interested in brewing a recipe you provide.

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 10
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: WTHIT?
Boil size (in gallons): Up to 9 gallons
Batch size (in gallons): Prefer 6 into fermenter
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Founders Centennial, Racer 5, Union Jack
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Ruination, Lagunitas Sucks, Maharaja
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: >7.5%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Yeast Starter
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 3.5
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2 I need to be able to knock back 3 a session

Really looking forward to this, thank you.

Here you go, let me know how it turns out for you...

http://hopville.com/recipe/1420061/imperial-ipa-recipes/cruel-unusual-punishment-6-gal-batch

Will attenuate well w/starter. The whirlpool hops will boost bitterness and aroma, but you'll still have a nice malt backbone. See second page for mash schedule and adjust the volume/ingredients depending on your boiloff rate.

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 20 Gallon
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons?): 14.5 Conical
Boil size (in gallons): 12'ish
Batch size (in gallons): 10'ish

List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Union Jack, Ruination, Lagunitas

What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: Mash tun maxes out at 28lbs

Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: 1056, have a ton of it.

Quality expectation: 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool

Balance: 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness

Body: 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy

Malt profile: 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 20 Gallon
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons?): 14.5 Conical
Boil size (in gallons): 12'ish
Batch size (in gallons): 10'ish

List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Union Jack, Ruination, Lagunitas

What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: Mash tun maxes out at 28lbs

Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: 1056, have a ton of it.

Quality expectation: 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool

Balance: 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness

Body: 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy

Malt profile: 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters

Here you go, use a big nasty starter for this one:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1420238/imperial-ipa-recipes/golden-hopportunity-10-gal-batch

Here you go, let me know how it turns out for you...

http://hopville.com/recipe/1420061/imperial-ipa-recipes/cruel-unusual-punishment-6-gal-batch

Will attenuate well w/starter. The whirlpool hops will boost bitterness and aroma, but you'll still have a nice malt backbone. See second page for mash schedule and adjust the volume/ingredients depending on your boiloff rate.

Awesome, looking forward to this, will be ready at the end of the july after the move, will post back with results.

Okay just took a sample and a grav. reading last night for the hell of it. I hit OG of 1.072, but it has attenuated WAY down to 1.006. Something not quite right, but it tastes good for a young beer that's nowhere near being done yet so I'm cool. 8.5%ABV... yikes.

This one is going in to some special larger bottles I have, and will be a "feature beer" that is pulled out solely to impress company.

Will probably brew it again with a tweak or two in the fall. Thanks again BobBrews!

Well, tossed in the dry hops last night. Just put them in a nice big sanitized hop bag and added it to the fermenter. No secondary. Once again, Citra is prohibitively expensive at the LHBS and Amarillo is just a no-go altogether so I had to use an all-simcoe blast, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I am going to make this again in the fall with the proper hops and compare. I still think this batch will turn out great though. I am excited to post a full review and photos when it's done.
Plan on bottling on Father's Day, then we're looking at 3 weeks to condition so should be done by July 8. Of course, I won't be able to help myself so look for an early sampling around June 29!

I am going to make this again in the fall with the proper hops and compare.

No need. I've made this recipe a ton of times with minor adjustments. Always turns out solid. With an all Simcoe dryhop and no Citra in the recipe, you'll get more of that dank pine fruitiness and less tropical/floral melon fruit. But it will still be a very similar beer. Good luck bro!

Bottled yesterday. Smells and tastes like fantastic hop-juice. Gotta love Simcoe!

Anyway my next and final post in this thread will be a complete review with photos. Excited to drink this - if I had to compare it something right now I'd say its close to Dogfish 90 - which happens to be my 2nd favourite beer!

I'm not really following the rules of the game, but I'm really interested in making something as close to Lagunitas Sucks as possible. The aroma is heavenly. Any suggestions?

I'm not really following the rules of the game, but I'm really interested in making something as close to Lagunitas Sucks as possible. The aroma is heavenly. Any suggestions?

"A ‘Cereal Medley’ of Barley, Rye, Wheat, and Oats…. Full of complexishness from the 4 grains, and weighing in at 7.6-7.85% abv, Then joyously dry-hopped for that big aroma and resinous hop flavor."

And the educated "guessing" begins...

They probably utilized brewing methods from both A Little Sumpin Sumpin & Hop Stoopid, then threw in rye and oats along with more aroma hops.

Begins around 1.085 OG with a higher than usual FG for the style. I think I read somewhere that a degassed sample was around 1.025 FG. Which would put it about at 7.8% abv, so it makes sense.

Medium-bodied, probably a 153-155 mash temp.

60-70% American 2-row
15-30% malted wheat
5-10% torrified wheat
5-10% golden naked oats
5-10% rye malt
Plenty of rice hulls

For a 5 gallon batch, it probably contains 10 or more oz. of hops, mostly late hops.

95% of the hops are most likely used at 15 minutes or less.

63++ IBUs not including the residuals from a heavy aroma steep not gauged by brewing software. A nice, long aroma steep of fruity and citrusy hops.

The pellet dryhop is likely to be piney and tropical hops at the rate of 0.75 - 1.00 oz. per gallon of beer. Dryhop temp is gonna be 67 F or higher... probably dryhopped in 3 or 4 stages of increasing temp.

At least 4 varieties of hops used, probably more. I would guess Centennial, Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, CTZ.

Moderate to Low carbonation. Lagunitas house strain WLP002 with huge starter at 70% attenuation.

im game. heres one im very interested in

Naughty Kitty Tom Cat IPA
American IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 6/24/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer: Glynn Brown
Boil Size: 6.52 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 5.98 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal Est Mash Efficiency 82.8 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Cargill Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.9 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Cargill Caramel - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.1 %
1.00 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - First Wort 70.0 min Hop 3 27.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 4 10.7 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 22.2 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Wyeast American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21 ml] Yeast 8 -
2.00 oz Centennial [10.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.7 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 60.8 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 11.6 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 8.0 oz
Sparge Water: 4.17 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 16.88 qt of water at 169.8 F 156.0 F 45 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.79gal, 3.38gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 3.61 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 3.61 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

and just for the fum of it. these are my next to brews. I've never done an ag brew theses two will be my first a temp.

Naughty Kitty Black Kat Christmas Ale
Christmas/Winter Specialty Spice Beer
Type: All Grain Date: 6/26/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer:
Boil Size: 6.52 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 5.98 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal Est Mash Efficiency 82.8 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Cargill Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 61.5 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 15.4 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.7 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 7.7 %
8.0 oz Briss Cara-Pils (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.8 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.8 %
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 19.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.80 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 8 13.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 15.2 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.00 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 9.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Candied Ginger (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 12 -
1.00 Items Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 13 -
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21 ml] Yeast 14 -
2.00 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Secondary 7.0 days) Spice 16 -
1.00 Items Vanilla Bean (Secondary 7.0 days) Spice 17 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 57.2 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 23.0 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs
Sparge Water: 4.27 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 16.25 qt of water at 171.2 F 156.0 F 45 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 4 steps (Drain mash tun, , 1.42gal, 1.42gal, 1.42gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 3.61 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 3.61 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Sounds like this could yield many samples.
Well count me in!
I am a noob and so far only one kit Stout and a partial mash that turned out like a red Pale Ale

I'll call this brew SOBIPA (Southern Outer Banks)

Equipment
Electric stove - enamel canning pot would go to 4 gal then add one gal H2O - a couple ale pales 6gal one with bottle spigot
Looking for a 60 min boil and 5 gal or so finish at 6% APV light to red color this time and moderate to mod/high bitterness balanced with sweetness and high aroma.
The last batch I brewed I used amarillo, cascade in the boil and 2oz Citra as a dry hop and could barely take it away from my nose to drink it YUM!
I like the SNTorpedo, Dogfish 30 and 60, too many to list
Here is a list of what I have on hand.
HOPS
1lb Cascade pellets
2oz Cascade
1lb Nugget pellets
1lb Summit pellets
2oz Kent Pellets
3.3 lbs Mutons LME
1 lb Amber DME
1/2 lb Light DME
12 oz Crushed Caramel 60L grain malt
11.5g pk of Safbrew S-33 Dry Yeast
11g pk of Windsor British Beer Yeast Dry
5 oz of priming sugar
I'll use 12 oz sterile brown bottles, temps will be around 74 to 75 degrees, I can make a starter, would like to dry out good be crisp.
I have not used Orange zest but have considered it for a summer brew.
All You!

bobbrews said:
"A ‘Cereal Medley’ of Barley, Rye, Wheat, and Oats…. Full of complexishness from the 4 grains, and weighing in at 7.6-7.85% abv, Then joyously dry-hopped for that big aroma and resinous hop flavor."

And the educated "guessing" begins...

They probably utilized brewing methods from both A Little Sumpin Sumpin & Hop Stoopid, then threw in rye and oats along with more aroma hops.

Begins around 1.085 OG with a higher than usual FG for the style. I think I read somewhere that a degassed sample was around 1.025 FG. Which would put it about at 7.8% abv, so it makes sense.

Medium-bodied, probably a 153-155 mash temp.

60-70% American 2-row
15-30% malted wheat
5-10% torrified wheat
5-10% golden naked oats
5-10% rye malt
Plenty of rice hulls

For a 5 gallon batch, it probably contains 10 or more oz. of hops, mostly late hops.

95% of the hops are most likely used at 15 minutes or less.

63++ IBUs not including the residuals from a heavy aroma steep not gauged by brewing software. A nice, long aroma steep of fruity and citrusy hops.

The pellet dryhop is likely to be piney and tropical hops at the rate of 0.75 - 1.00 oz. per gallon of beer. Dryhop temp is gonna be 67 F or higher... probably dryhopped in 3 or 4 stages of increasing temp.

At least 4 varieties of hops used, probably more. I would guess Centennial, Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, CTZ.

Moderate to Low carbonation. Lagunitas house strain WLP002 with huge starter at 70% attenuation.

This one is next in my queue to brew, ill report back, thanks!

Okay and we're done! Well, almost. Another week in the bottles will probably do well but I think we have a winner here!

image-1156799507.jpg

It's a burst of hop aroma and flavor. Not too bitter, and has a nice warm finish due to its 8% abv. All in all a very balanced brew that I'd be happy to share with friends looking for a good example of a IIPA. Thanks Bobbrews!!

Anyone else drinking their "custom" recipe yet?

Good news, bad news!

Bad news:
I think I found out what went "wrong" - when I was setting up my fermentation chamber using a JCA419, I stuck the temp probe in a big bucket full of water to run some tests. I also stuck in my thermometer for ****s and giggles - well guess what - thermometer was reading +6F, so essentially I mashed at 148F instead of 154. I believe this would explain the intense fermentability.

Good news:
I'll have to brew this again to compare!

Thermapen is next on the list of things to waste my kid's education fund on. I'm also entering this brew in a comp. just to see if I'm missing out on any off flavours or anything. Personally I think it's quite good, and friends all agree - even the BMC noobs who don't even know what an IIPA is.

Well that's a big difference :) Good to know it still tasted great for you! I would probably like that change considering I enjoy the more thinnish, dry, low malt IPAs with high hop aroma and smooth bitterness... as long as they're not watery or lacking in overall flavor.

Also, I recommend tweaking it to your liking. Don't go 100% on the original recipe if there are a few changes that you think would better suit your tastes. You already brewed it so you would know if you want less hops or more body.

Back