What to do with a beer that won't carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
So it started with purchasing a Belgian Ale extract kit from a guy on craigslist. I brewed the beer per the directions and bottled it with the priming sugar that came with the kit. It's been in the bottle now for about 3 months. I've opened several over the past few months checking for carb but there's none. I opened one tonight and still no carbonation. So is there a way to fix this? I can tell you that I have read about fixing some carb issues on this board. I've stored it @ about 78 degrees. I rolled the bottles around to get the yeast stirred up. Still no help. Anyways is there anything I can do? I know when I bought the kit it was sitting in the guys garage for at least a year. I live in Florida and garages get in the upper 90's in the summer. For all I know there could have been something wrong with the yeast. I did take gravity readings (I can't remember what they are now) and they read to what the instructions said. Thanks for the help!

well my best guess would be that something happened to your yeast and they died sometime before or in the very beginning of the bottling phase. Does the beer taste like fermentation finished out? or is it still kinda sweet? Id pour a bottle out to grab a gravity reading to see what you are looking at then go from there.

If the yeast was bad you may have to carefully get the beer back into a bucket and pitch some new yeast hoping not to oxidize

Get yourself a packet of champagne yeast. You'll also need fresh caps.

Rehydrate said yeast in water (or use liquid) in a sanitized container, get a children's medicine dropper with ML gradients like this,

medicine-dropper-310.jpg

Sanitize it, open beer bottle, suck up slurry into sanitized eyedropper, squirt 1 ml of yeast into bottle, then re-cap. Give the bottles a shake, and then walk away for another 2-3 weeks to give that yeast a chance to do the job.

Also... don't buy beer kits from some cat off of craigslist. There are so many mail order and local HBS's out there with good quality ingredients that I wouldn't even fathom buyin' something second hand.

Gary

GAS,
I've since graduated to all grain. The $25 vs $45 @ the store got me to buy it. In the long run it would have been better to pay the extra.

Rev/Chef,
I guess I'll try and give it some more yeast. It couldn't hurt. I was thinking that or dumping them in a container and distilling it through freezing.

Latest posts

Back