Well this is embarrasing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbaker

Reaction score
Let's say I know this guy...he went to pitch his yeast and it appeared to run down the inside side of his Carboy. 24 hrs, this same guy goes to check on his baby and realizes it was actually on the OUTSIDE of the Carboy in a beautiful sticky fashion. Fermentation is bubbling along very well, but this guy is worried a lack of yeast will ruin this soon to be delicious 60 min clone. Should he pitch another slap pack or let it ride?

And for all the RDWHAHB responses out there, I'm sitting enjoying this Gumballhead clone vocalizing this poor mans dilemma.

It takes practice to aim whilst inebriated!

It should be alright if you've got visible signs. I'd be worried about cell count, but if you're RDWHAHB then you've got a pipeline and should have no worries if primary takes longer to complete.

However, lack of cell count could stress the yeast to produce more fusel alcohol flavors that may or may not disappear with time. The way I look at it is what would it hurt to pitch another package of yeast?

Overpitching can lead to a stunted cell growth phase, so you can miss out on flavors developed during cell propagation. As bad as that sounds, having a stuck ferment is probably the greater evil.

Is there ever a time where too much yeast could have adverse affects?

yes, but it takes alot to get there, like pitching onto a full yeast cake. tossing in an extra pack won't get you to those levels. however, if its already actively fermenting then its already passed the growth phase and i dont think pitching more now is gunna do anything.

Back