A Pictoral how to brew an extract kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my first brew I used an ice bath and on my 2nd brew I tried to put it in the snow. For whatever reason the ice bath worked 10x faster. Cold top off water and sanitized ice work well also.

Awesome thread man! This will be extremly helpful when i move up to the five gallon batches. Pictures are always more helpful then just reading all the time IMO.... Thanks!!

Question on top off water. If I start with 6 gallonsi, boil off a gallon or so during the boil, should I add top off water into the bottling bucket before aerating it into the fermetner, to have about 5.5 gallons in the fermenter? Or do you shoot for exactly 5 gallons into the fermenter? I have seen people saying 5.5, 5, 5.25, what is the normal amout to have the level at in the fermenter to begin fermentation?

Question on top off water. If I start with 6 gallonsi, boil off a gallon or so during the boil, should I add top off water into the bottling bucket before aerating it into the fermetner, to have about 5.5 gallons in the fermenter? Or do you shoot for exactly 5 gallons into the fermenter? I have seen people saying 5.5, 5, 5.25, what is the normal amout to have the level at in the fermenter to begin fermentation?

It really depends on the batch and your own technique. There's nothing wrong with doing 5, 5.5, 6 gallon batches, etc. If you're doing extract and topping off with water to cool down your wort you'll want more than .5-1 gallon unless you are using another cooling method in conjunction with top off water.

Helps take away the worries about steeping :) Nice Artwork btw!

I'll be trying that recipe out after the Mild I am doing this weekend, 2/3/1 work?

Thanks for the info man!

I've personally never fermented in 2 weeks - I let it sit and do it's thing and forget about it for a month. My fermentation control system will hold 2 carboys, so I'm never hurting for space. That way everything has settled out, the yeast has done everything it ever wanted to do...then 2-3 weeks in the bottle. Fridge can be less - 48 hours is usually fine.

Your methods may vary...of course.

I've personally never fermented in 2 weeks - I let it sit and do it's thing and forget about it for a month. My fermentation control system will hold 2 carboys, so I'm never hurting for space. That way everything has settled out, the yeast has done everything it ever wanted to do...then 2-3 weeks in the bottle. Fridge can be less - 48 hours is usually fine.

Your methods may vary...of course.

Mr. Beer keg fermenter, it's an open vat style not an airlock, so unless it's fermenting actively with positive pressure risk of infection increases. This is why I normally don't keep anything in my keg for more than 2 weeks.

Great video and pictorial.

I have been only waiting 14 days to drink by homebrew wheat spice ales, and have been getting off-flavors. Bitter and carbonic acid tastes. Watching you wait for over 30 days to condition is making me think that I was just not waiting long enough.

I'm going to wait a full month this time and see what happens.

I have a question. Is brewing with lme any different then brewing with dme?

Nope...Just need to be more careful when you pour in the LME to make sure it mixes well and doesn't turn to 'caramel' at the bottom of the kettle..Stir it like crazy!

Nope...Just need to be more careful when you pour in the LME to make sure it mixes well and doesn't turn to 'caramel' at the bottom of the kettle..Stir it like crazy!

What he said. Also LME can go bad quicker than DME, but this is only a problem if you're dealing with seriously old LME. I preferred DME slightly when I used to brew extract, but I would go with whatever is easier for you or cheaper.

Back