Force carbonating with nitrogen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmergedBrewing

Reaction score
i was wondering what the pressures are to force carbonate a soda keg with nitrogen instead of CO2. i have a stout in the fermenter about to come out and my new nitrogen tank came in and i'm about ready to keg. any help?

well if thats the case, and obviously i've never done nitrogen dispensing before, how would you set up the rig to allow it to do so?

I'm curious as well. I understand you need a tank of CO2 and a tank of beer gas. Do you carbonate with CO2 as usual and then switch to the beergas simply for serving?

I did not have my beer gas yet so I primed with corn sugar. Then I used the beer gas to keep carbed and push the beer. It worked perfectly.

We just got a nirto set up with blender and after reading jershes posts my question is how long to force carb and can I continue force carbing with just co2 or should I run a blended line back to my carbinating area.. I presently bubble through with 30 psi co2 for 24 hours then remove from the co2 and store for a week or so then release pressure and serve on 8-10 psi. Any advise for carbinating a stout ?

We just got a nirto set up with blender and after reading jershes posts my question is how long to force carb and can I continue force carbing with just co2 or should I run a blended line back to my carbinating area.. I presently bubble through with 30 psi co2 for 24 hours then remove from the co2 and store for a week or so then release pressure and serve on 8-10 psi. Any advise for carbinating a stout ?

If your running a blender you could go either way and carbonate with pure co2 then switch it to the blended line(This method would get you to your desired carbonation faster)

or

If your not in a hurry, I force carb with my 75/25 blender line at 35 PSI which is also my serving pressure. It usually takes about 3 weeks to carb up this way but I never have to worry about overcarbing.

I would definately use option 1 if you are paying for pre-blended gas, but with a blender your Nitrogen tank will last 3-4 times as long as pre mixed gas anyway and your co2 tank will last through many nitrogen fills. Filling both tanks is half the price of 1 tank of pre mixed beer gas where I live.

Back