Spice IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNolt17

Reaction score
I have been asked to make a beer with a friend's peach Habaneros. I want it hot but not overpowering and I'm thinking an IPA or Imperial IPA would be best. I wanted to get others opinions. Would the higher ABV and increased hops work better with the spice or would it work against it? I'm thinking Maris Otter and Crystal with Simcoe and Citra Hops. I have some White Labs London Ale Yeast I was going to overbuild a starter for another beer and use for this one. I'm doing 5 gallon BIAB and have only done 2 of my own recipes but several following other recipes so any help and advice is appreciated. Here's what I'm thinking;

IIPA
14# - Maris Otter
3# - Crystal 30
Mash 60min @ 150

0.5# Wheat DME
1.5oz Simcoe @ 60
0.75oz Citra and 1 whole peach habanero @ 20
0.75oz Citra @ Flameout
Dryhop with 0.5oz Simcoe and Citra and 2 seeded Peach Habaneros soaked in vodka for 1 week added the last 5 days before bottling.

OG 1.090; FG 1.024; ABV 8.67%; IBU 72; SMR 14

IPA
11# Maris Otter
1# Crystal 30
Mash 60 min @150
1oz Simcoe @ 60
0.5oz Citra and 1 whole peach habanero @ 20
0.5oz Citra @ Flameout
Dryhop with 1 oz Simcoe and 0.5oz Citra and 2 seeded Peach Habaneros soaked in vodka for 1 week added the last 5 days before bottling.

OG 1.062; FG 1.017; ABV 5.92%; IBU 58; SMR 8.5

I would omit the crystal in any IPA or at least scale it back to like 4oz, especially in the DIPA. You could add some sugar to help dry out the DIPA. I always use 5% or so in any hoppy beer to get a dry body to accentuate the hops.

Im not sure id consider either of those an IPA in terms of how much hops they have 3.5 oz total is even less than id normally put in a pale ale. But it depends whether you want to actually have the base style be IPA. Have you tried making your own IPA recipe yet? Id try that before trying to experiment with added ingredients so you have a good solid base.

also, why are you bittering with simcoe? Such a waste of a bright aromatic tasty hop....

I brewed a pale ale with 9# MO, 1# C-20, 1# Special Roast, Amarillo and Simcoe hops, dry hopped with Simcoe, then added 2 deseeded and deveined habaneros in a weighted hop bag and left it in for three days. I had tasted it after 2 and decided it needed one more. Beer turned out great. Not too hot, just a little tickle at the back of the throat. 5 gallons was gone in two weeks except for three bottles that I saved back. They have gotten a bit warmer as they've gotten older, about 4 months now. I just dipped the whole peppers in sanitizer, took out the veins and seeds, sliced them and put em in.

Save the seeds and use them in the mash (or steep with specialty grains if using extract) if you want some extra spiciness.

If you want to tone down the spiciness and create a more mellow flavor, add your peppers at 5 min left in the boil.

I would omit the crystal in any IPA or at least scale it back to like 4oz, especially in the DIPA. You could add some sugar to help dry out the DIPA. I always use 5% or so in any hoppy beer to get a dry body to accentuate the hops.

Im not sure id consider either of those an IPA in terms of how much hops they have 3.5 oz total is even less than id normally put in a pale ale. But it depends whether you want to actually have the base style be IPA. Have you tried making your own IPA recipe yet? Id try that before trying to experiment with added ingredients so you have a good solid base.

also, why are you bittering with simcoe? Such a waste of a bright aromatic tasty hop....

Thanks for the input. I'm just looking at what Brewers Friend gives me as far as style guidelines for IPA and IIPA. I have not done my own IPA recipe yet, but most of the Habanero recipes I have researched were IPA's and most contained at least some crystal. I was want the pine and peach notes of Simcoe but I guess I would get that more with late addition and dry hopping.

I brewed a pale ale with 9# MO, 1# C-20, 1# Special Roast, Amarillo and Simcoe hops, dry hopped with Simcoe, then added 2 deseeded and deveined habaneros in a weighted hop bag and left it in for three days. I had tasted it after 2 and decided it needed one more. Beer turned out great. Not too hot, just a little tickle at the back of the throat. 5 gallons was gone in two weeks except for three bottles that I saved back. They have gotten a bit warmer as they've gotten older, about 4 months now. I just dipped the whole peppers in sanitizer, took out the veins and seeds, sliced them and put em in.

Do you have the recipe GaBrewZoo? That sound like just what I'm looking for and I would love using something that has already been deemed successful.

Ive made one beer with ancho chili peppers and my friend did a habanero one. Both of us used whole peppers sliced and dipped in sanitizer. Added to primary like a dry hop (in a bag in case the flavor gets too much). Just be sure NOT to keg it. The pepper flavor and particles seem to sink to the bottom leaving the 2nd half of the keg as a bastard spawn of beer and hot sauce

I've heard that about kegging and yes I plan to bottle. :off: Bastard Spawn would make a great homebrew name :rockin:

Back