Carb drops in Juice Jug?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
I'm planning to make 1 gallon of cider using the simple method outlined on Basic Brewing Video: take one gallon of apple juice, add yeast, ferment. I may also add 1.5 oz of lactose and some cinnamon, but that's not germane to my question.

After fermentation, I'd like to rack to another jug and just serve from there. It occurred to me that I could drop two carb drops in the secondary / serving vessel, and achieve a level of carbonation somewhere between still and petillant. Since a gallon jug holds about 10 twelve-ounce bottles, two carb drops should create about one fifth the level of carbonation of a standard pale ale.

I know that growlers and glass juice jugs aren't intended to withstand pressure, but do you think the low carbonation described above would be safe? If so, it seems like a ridiculously easy way to make something interesting for a dinner party.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sound principle. One word of advice: use one plastic soda bottle. This will give you a way to judge the amount of carbonation-- which is going to be low by design, but I always like to be safe when it comes to bombs. Keep your bottles warm to carb, then chill for your party!!!

Latest posts

Back