How long to carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poison2003 said:
How long does it take for the beer to carbonate in the bottle? 1 week or 2 weeks?

Search!

Depending on the style, I would use the 1-2-3 method... 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, and 3 weeks conditioning...

:mug:

Depends, it seems, on all kinds of unpredicatable factors. I've had beer carbed at a week (which was still green and crappy, incidentally), others that took four weeks. Couldn't begin to fathom why.

In any case, three weeks is better than two, there's a huge difference in the quality of the beer just by giving it a little more time to condition.

I agree with the previous posts. It is a scientific wonder how you can have flat green tasting beer one week and then just 7-10 days later it's like liquid sex. Also remember that when you get the beer cold it will absorb the CO2 better, but only after you have given it time to carb up in room temps. I usually go with at least 2 weeks at room temp then put it in the fridge for 2-3 days and BAM! you have a nice beer.

Storage temps greatly affect carb time as does the sugars used. My basement is around 62F. My last batch wasn't fully carbed until the 4th week.
I've heard that using DME takes longer than corn sugar, but I don't have experience yet.
Do not use more sugar to try to carb faster. That will just result in over carbed beer and possible bottle bombs. Keeping your beer near 70F should get them carbed in about a week but they will taste better if you leave them for atleast 3 weeks.
Craig

Back