Just wanted to introduce myself.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGREDIOWAN

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the whole brewing process, but I've been lurking here for the past month or so. Just received my beginners kit for Christmas and can't wait to start my first batch. All I've done over the past month or so is read, read, and read some more. I plan on starting on extracts and moving on from there after I get the process down. The kit I received is from my LHBS. It contains the following:
1. Bucket fermenter.
2. Bottling bucket.
3. Hydrometer (thank god!)
4. Airlock.
5. Syphon.
6. Temperature gauge to put on outside of fermenter.
7. Basic how to brewers guide with a few recipes.
8. Capper.
9. Bottle Brush.
10. Cleanser.

The things I still need purchase are:
1. Boil Kettle.
2. Propane burner/turkey fryer. (may be getting this for free)
3. Bottles.
4. Sanitizer.
5. Extract Kit.
6. Long handled spoon.
7. Strainer for fermentation bucket.
8. Possible secondary fermenter.

Anyone see anything else that I may need to buy? I also have a very good used refrigerator coming this week that I got for..................FREE! My father-in-laws buddy just wanted a new fridge and nothing is wrong with this one so he said I could have it. Perfect for possible lagering don't ya think? Also, might have the possiblity of getting a chest freezer to start a keezer build fairly early in my home brewing hobby. Looking forward to talking with all of you and joining in on the fun. I know I'll make alot of mistakes, but it sounds like in the end...............I'll still make some beer. :mug:

Welcome to the obsession. Buy a spray bottle from Depot or Lowe's to put your Star-San in. Comes in handy to spray things down on brew day. My 0.02.

Thanks for the tip Jenks, I'll make sure I do that. Sounds like half the battle is making sure you have everything sanitized along with some patience.

Welcome. I'd have to say that 9/10 of it is patience, 1/10 is following a procedure, and the rest is sanitizing. Beer was brewed long before people knew about bacteria.

You do want to have your equipment clean. Heck, would you eat your ice cream with a spoon you found in somebody's barnyard?

I didnt see a bottle filler in the list. Either gravity close or spring loaded, I like the spring loaded one. Use a small piece of hose to attach to the bottling bucket and fill away. Congrats on the new hobby and have fun!

Wyoming, apparently I can use the syphon hose for this from what my directions say? It appears to be controlled by the spigot. Would you suggest I get the spring loaded one instead?

I'd say to get the bottle filler. It is pretty hard to close of the spigot at the right time for each bottle and you'll get sick of trying to turn the spigot for each bottle. With a bottling wand, you fill the bottles from the bottom which minimizes splashing and when the bottle is full to the rim, you remove the bottling wand which shuts off the flow and leaves you with just the amount of space in the bottle for perfect carbonation. Even if you run the bottle over (yeah, it happens) the space left when you remove the wand will still be perfect.

Welcome to the obsession. Buy a spray bottle from Depot or Lowe's to put your Star-San in. Comes in handy to spray things down on brew day. My 0.02.

Good advice here. As another little tip, use Distilled Water for your StarSan. It will last much longer that way before loosing it's power. You can check if the StarSan is OK with a PH test. PH of 4 is good. Check on the number to be sure, it is early here on the west coast of Iowa.

Before you go buy new bottles, check Craigslist in your local area, you can usually find old grolsch pint bottles around at a pretty good price. Your LHBS should sell the rubber gaskets that will probably have to be replaced. Before you know it, your garage will be filled with brew equipment. Enjoy.

Welcome! Looks like you have just about all covered to get started. If you are looking for little things to help out with the process, maybe pick up a temp. indicator strip that sticks on the side of the fermenter. It helps ease the worries of us noobs and also allows you catch any run away temps early. Remember just because your house is 65 does not mean your fermenter is 65. Fermentation action will heat up the wort. So with the strip you can see where the temp is at a glance.

Good Luck!

PS - Check your favorite bar for bottles, they are usually free. Just make sure they are dark bottles and not twist offs.

Yes, get the bottle wand. I like the spring loaded one myself but either works fine. Like mentioned, it fills from the bottom and shuts off when you lift. If you fill to the top your bottles are perfectly filled.

Latest posts

Back