Simcoe IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppocrates

Reaction score
100 IBUs
12 SRM

70% 2 Row
20% Munich 20L (Briess Aromatic)
3% Wheat
3% C40
3% C15
1/2 oz Debittered Black (for touch of red)

Nottie Yeast
90 minute boil

1 oz Simcoe FWH
1 oz Simcoe 45 mins
1 oz Simcoe 15 mins

Dry Hop 2 oz each: (simcoe, CTZ, Chinook)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers!

If you're going to call it Simcoe, why add the others? It's a small beer for all those dry hops....the rest looks great and should be yummy, what's your mash schedule?

Sounds good to me. I like a bit of rye in my IPAs, but that's personal preference. I did an all-Simcoe IPA last year that turned out to be one of my favorite beers of all time. Here's the recipe:

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 7.03 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 10.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 57.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
10.50 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (Golden Promise) (3.0Grain        84.00 %       
1.00 lb       Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)                   Grain        8.00 %        
0.50 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        4.00 %        
0.50 lb       Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)                        Grain        4.00 %        
2.00 oz       Simcoe (leaf) [13.20 %]  (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops          -            
0.50 oz       Simcoe (leaf) [13.20 %]  (45 min)         Hops         17.2 IBU      
0.50 oz       Simcoe (leaf) [13.20 %]  (30 min)         Hops         14.4 IBU      
1.00 oz       Simcoe (leaf) [13.20 %]  (15 min)         Hops         18.6 IBU      
1.00 oz       Simcoe (leaf) [13.20 %]  (5 min)          Hops         7.5 IBU       
1 Pkgs        Safale US-05 (Safale #US-05)              Yeast-Ale

-Joe

Hex said:
If you're going to call it Simcoe, why add the others? It's a small beer for all those dry hops....the rest looks great and should be yummy, what's your mash schedule?

Well firestone ipa has similar amt of dry hops though is a bit bigger... just wanted a touch of different flavors on the dry hop bill and I am all out of centennial, cascade and amarillo... mash at 152. My beers dry out very much.

+1 for maybe some Rye.... i really like the way it works with some of the more popular american hops that have the fruity aromas... I just did a Rye IPA with Simcoe Amarillo and Citra, and it's great, good fruity aroma and hop flavor.

Not too sure how it would work with chinook or CTZ thought. havent used that pairing together... yet..

If it was me I'd dry hop Simcoe/Cascade. In fact that is exactly what I am doing next (IRA).

my first AG was a wheat with all cascade in the boil and simcoe for dryhop. hop flavor was spectacular! (seemed like a good word to describe it)

Back