$276 of Duvel made for $27

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
This batch saved me the most money out of any beer I've brewed. I made 6 gallons of a Duvel clone and the ingredients cost me $27. If I purchased 6 gallons of Duvel in stubbies, I would have paid $276.:eek: Just bottled it tonight.

I don't do many clone beers, but damn this has me feeling good about myself.:ban:

Did you know that Duvel means devil in dutch? Be very, very careful. Because the devil likes his due.:p

I-dont-do-many-clone-beers-But-when-I-do-its-Duvel.jpg

recipe, please.

BTW, pretty sweet!!!

Straight out of Brewing Classic Styles (Except the hops)

11lbs Belgian Pilsner
3Lbs of Table Sugar

2.25 oz of Willamette at 90 Minutes

WLP570

Wonderful pear aroma at bottling. I figured the Willamette wouldn't make much of a difference from Saaz being that I'm boiling it for 90 minutes.

Thanks!

your right at 90min it's all about the bitter!

being a bit of a purist I may use belgian candy sugar which I can get from my shop online.

awsome! this needs to be worked into the fall schedule!

Thanks!

your right at 90min it's all about the bitter!

being a bit of a purist I may use belgian candy sugar which I can get from my shop online.

awsome! this needs to be worked into the fall schedule!

Using candi sugar is not necessary. You should read "Brew Like a Monk" if you haven't already. Duvel uses dextrose, not candi sugar.

haven't read "Brew Like a Monk" I'm branching out beyond my comfort levels of british and american styles... my saison was a big hit and I used candy sugar.... looks like I have some beach reading to do!

haven't read "Brew Like a Monk" I'm branching out beyond my comfort levels of british and american styles... my saison was a big hit and I used candy sugar.... looks like I have some beach reading to do!

From what I remember, "candi sugar" in the States is just a way of charging you more for sugar. If you can get the darker ones that are in syrup straight from Belgium, they have something other than just sugar in there (going from memory here) to give some flavors. But pale candi sugar in rock form in the States is just sugar and you may as well use table sugar. Further, there's nothing wrong with using table sugar.

Brew Like a Monk is a really great read. I think that's my favorite of all of my beer books. If you like Belgian beer it's very engaging and is really FULL of information. That, and Radical Brewing are the only beer books I've read that were actually fun to read. Other books have good info, but for me, those two were fun to read also.

I have 2 kegs aging and one about to kick. This recipe is very close the origional. I suggest you make another batch with your yeast. It will further beat down the cost, and this beer gets much better with about 6 months age.

From what I remember, "candi sugar" in the States is just a way of charging you more for sugar. If you can get the darker ones that are in syrup straight from Belgium, they have something other than just sugar in there (going from memory here) to give some flavors. But pale candi sugar in rock form in the States is just sugar and you may as well use table sugar. Further, there's nothing wrong with using table sugar.

Brew Like a Monk is a really great read. I think that's my favorite of all of my beer books. If you like Belgian beer it's very engaging and is really FULL of information. That, and Radical Brewing are the only beer books I've read that were actually fun to read. Other books have good info, but for me, those two were fun to read also.
Many Asian supermarkets will often carry candi sugar. It's usually about $1-$2 per pound and is (in the case of the stuff i bought) not totally pure and (again, in my case) has a yellow/gold color from some of the impurities. I brewed a batch using it and it turned out great.

Many Asian supermarkets will often carry candi sugar. It's usually about $1-$2 per pound and is (in the case of the stuff i bought) not totally pure and (again, in my case) has a yellow/gold color from some of the impurities. I brewed a batch using it and it turned out great.

Not familiar with this stuff and not something I can get here. Where did you hear it has impurities? I can't get it hear anyway though.

I actually just learned how to properly pronounce Duvel yesterday... I think...

It's supposed to be DOOvil rather than dooVELL, correct?

Doov'l

Straight from a friend last night who lived in Flanders for many years.

I have been planning a Duvel clone for my next brew day. This post has definitely made up my mind. Did a lot of reading yesterday and looking at a ton of "clone" recipes from different forums. That looks the closest to wha tI've found to be "authentic" based on some Zumurgy artices I dug up that were actually posted (corroborated?) by Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat on their website.

The article mentioned their yeast was actually a Scottish Ale yeast. Anyone else run across that little tidbit?

ETA: Found the link - www.duvelusa.com/uploads/news/thedevilmakesyou.pdf

The article mentioned their yeast was actually a Scottish Ale yeast. Anyone else run across that little tidbit?

Yes. Again, from Brew Like a Monk, page 89:

The yeast was taken from a culture out of a bottle-conditioned McEwan's Scotch Ale after World War 1. The culture had between 10 and 20 strains, and De Clerck "took them apart" to isolate one.

Also, that link is a touch misleading. It says something about their fermentation temp being between 68 and 78 or something along those lines. But it doesn't mention that the ferment STARTS cooler, at 61-64, and is allowed to rise up to 79-84, running 120 hours total. I've used this kind of ferment with Wyeast 1388 (supposedly the Duvel yeast) and it works great. Starting cooler stops the beer from developing too many fusels and esters and results in a very tasty beer. Worth trying.

Man, I've gotta get that book. ;)

Yeah, I sort of figured going that warm up front would end up a hot mess. Looks like I need to build my son of fermentation chiller this weekend!

I actually just learned how to properly pronounce Duvel yesterday... I think...

It's supposed to be DOOvil rather than dooVELL, correct?

I think you're correct both ways depending on whether you're in a Flemish or French speaking region of Belgium.

I have 2 kegs aging and one about to kick. This recipe is very close the origional. I suggest you make another batch with your yeast. It will further beat down the cost, and this beer gets much better with about 6 months age.

Already done. I did a take on Vinnie Cilurzo's Golden Strong from "Brew Like A Monk".

Fermentables
Belgian Pilsen Malt 11lb 0oz (78.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Red Wheat Malt 8.00 oz (3.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - White Sugar/Sucrose 2lb 8oz (17.9 %) Start Of Boil

Hops
US Willamette (4.8 % alpha) 1.48 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 90 Min From End
US Saaz (6.8 % alpha) 0.49 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 30 Min From End
US Saaz (6.8 % alpha) 0.49 oz Loose Pellet Hops used At turn off

This will be my last with this yeast though. Temps are going down in Seattle and I am not going to keep up the strain. No more Belgians for me until next summer...

Not familiar with this stuff and not something I can get here. Where did you hear it has impurities? I can't get it hear anyway though.
I didn't have to hear it does, but you can see by looking at it. They have white and they have yellow. The yellow resembles the color of jaggery, which in that is caused by the leftover molasses and impurities. I doubt it's from cooking the sugar.

Back