Should I use this starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny9

Reaction score
Hi gang, looking for some advice from the collective....

I have on many times used Bernie's method of washing yeast with great success (thanks Bernie). I am brewing a bitter on Friday, so I kicked off a starter made from washed WLP-002 last Sat. He's the thing...the washed yeast (2nd gen) is from Feb 09.

Knowing that it was rather old, I used all the yeast collected from the washing (i.e. all (4) 1/2 pint jars) and put into a 1 qt starter collected from some extra wort. Expecting it to take awhile to kick off, I gave it two full days before adding another 2 qts of wort (3 qts total).

My concern:
Although I have witnessed activity and slow bubbling, the starter has never produced a kraeusen - so I am worried. :(

This evening I took a gravity reading and it read 1.013. And while it didn't taste particularily good, it wasn't wort anymore. So the yeast clearly fermented the starter.

think I am ok? I am worried about the lack of kraeusen.

ps: I don't own a stir plate.

I rarely have a kraeusen with a starter. I have used yeast up to 2 years old. If it fermented out, I would use it! Just chill it and decant the extra liquid.

Back