Couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
First I had to create a recipe for my second batch let me know what you think:

7# DME
1# 60l crystal
1 oz mangum boil 60 min
1/2 oz chinook aroma
1 c molasses
1 c b sugar

Irish ale yeast.

Samples have been really good. Not sweet but a nice slight molasses flavor. Anyway it has time before I can drink it so I must talk about it.

I was reading about adding 2 packages of yeast. What will this do?

http://byo.com/recipe/1319.html

I have a few ingridients laying around and the wife wants an amber ale. What are good hops for an amber?

Thanks

No real need to use two yeast packs, IMHO. Dry yeast contains a lot of cells, a lot more than we tend to think (which is why you don't even need to make a starter). Theoretically, I suppose, tossing in two packets ought to result in a faster start, but I've had no problems at all using single packs of Nottingham or Safale US-56 and getting plenty-fast fermentation starts. It might be something to think about for a particularly large beer, but even with the molasses yours isn't in particularly big territory.

As to the amber - my opinion, you can really take an amber beer in a lot of directions. You can go west-coast with Cascades and the like, or not. I have an ambery-red IPA that I did with Amarillo, Cascade, and Centenial that seems to be coming out very well (very citrusy/grapefruity). What kinds of beers does she like, that might lead us in the direction of how to hop it.

Well she says she likes Amber but Sierra Nevada is all I ever see her ordering beer wise. I know she likes Boont. I have a 6# of DME laying around and a pack of wyeast cali ale yeast. I don't have to use them but they are handy.

Tried the brew from the sample last night. Really nice a bit too bitter. I like hops but I think I was going 2 different directions with this recipe 1) hoppy with citrus 2) warm and smooth and sweet porter/stout. Oh well first attempt at writing my own.

Back