Alright, this is just getting ridiculous

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed my Cream Ale AG kit from northernbrewer. Pretty good efficiency; OG 1.048. Rehydrated US-05 around 95F, pitched probably around 75-78, and now fermenting at about 66-68.

I go in this morning and see the beer trying to escape through the airlock, no surprise there. Off goes the airlock and on goes the blowoff tube and gallon jug.

I go in just now to check on it and there is substantial yeast sediment in the gallon jug, and the water inside has now turned yellow. There is a layer of krausen in the jug and between bubbles from the tube I can see lots of tiny bubbles coming from the yeast.

I think the yeast in my cream ale have taken up homebrewing.

You know, foam control drops really are worth their weight in gold sometimes... I can't even remember the last time I used a blowoff tube or had to clean anything out of an airlock other than a few drowned fruit flies :p

I use fermcap in my kettle (full boils in a 30 qt), but haven't in my BB's. Do you use the same amount?
The bottle recommends 1-2 drops per gallon. I find that during the boil I only need to be on the lower end of that range (1 drop per gallon or a little more) but for fermentation I need to be toward the higher end (8-10 drops in 5 gallons). But don't forget you can always go easy on it at first and add some more if the krausen starts to get out of control.

One time I overshot my final wort volume and came out with like 6 gallons, and just to push fermcap to its limits I fermented it in a 6.5 gallon better bottle - that was VERY little head space, about halfway up the sloped "shoulder" toward the neck - but with a good dose of fermcap the krausen never even touched the airlock.

All that good yeast going to waste! Makes me want to hook up a ghetto burton system.

Back