Mash Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EALynx

Reaction score
Anyone know what the best method is for calculating mash temps when doing batch sparging? In 6 beers that I have made since going all grain, I have only hit my temp one time. I can get within about three degrees on average. I use Beersmith, but it has not been close on any of the temps either. I tried Charlie's method of 17 degrees higher, but I am always off about three degrees or so. I know I am asking for perfection, but if there is a better way, I would like to use it.

Thanks for any input,

ealynx

Any formula is only likely to get you close. What you really need to do is know your system. That means taking very detailed notes when you brew, so you'll know next time what you need to change.

Lil' Sparky said:
Any formula is only likely to get you close. What you really need to do is know your system. That means taking very detailed notes when you brew, so you'll know next time what you need to change.

I agree, but they get you very very close, or at least they were dead on for me. They actually only have one variable, the "actual temp of the infusion water." For me i based it on infusing boiling water, and since i live at altitude, i just had to bring down the temp of boiling water to 200F.

pre heat mash tun is also very important.

But I could have had just great luck and hit my temps perfectly. We will find out this week end if they hold true.

If in doubt, I heat the mash water a little bit higher than necessary, and have some cold water ready when doughing in to lower the temp. Next time, I don't heat the water quite so hot, and after 3 - 4 brews, I don't nead any adjustment.

-a.

Latest posts

Back