Stout Aftertaste Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
Just tried my first bottle of Extra Stout (I think about 7% ABV, although my calculations aren't exact). Was in primary for a month and then has been in bottles for two weeks, so its still a bit young for a fairly big and dark beer.

Nice full body, decent amount of head, nicely balanced but it seems like almost all of the roasty flavor is in the aftertaste. Kind of a mild, mild, mild BAM! roast barley drinking experience :) Don't necessarily mind it, but I'm wondering if anyone has had had the same experience and if aging it would change that any.

In any case, I'm pretty pleased with myself no matter what happens after I age the beer a bit more :mug:

I've heard that roasted flavor is what will mild with longer bottle conditioning.

Time heals all wounds?
be sure to report back how another week or two impacts it.

A 7% beer (especially a stout) needs WAY more than a month and a half of aging to round out the flavours. I think you'll find in a few months it will be 10x better than it is right now.

What temperature are you drinking it at? If you drink a stout cold I find it has no flavour except in the aftertaste.

bradsul said:
A 7% beer (especially a stout) needs WAY more than a month and a half of aging to round out the flavours. I think you'll find in a few months it will be 10x better than it is right now.

What temperature are you drinking it at? If you drink a stout cold I find it has no flavour except in the aftertaste.
imwithstupid.gif

Latest posts

Back