What makes a Kellerbier a Kellerbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFallopian

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of info out there that states that Kellerbier is simply an unfiltered, lightly carbonated pilsner or helles, but, to me, it has a distinct flavour. As all of my beers are unfiltered, I don't see how making a lightly-carbonated pils or helles would produce a Kellerbier. Like the Kellerbier itself, much of the available information is slightly hazy.

Does anyone have a method or recipe that would produce an authentic Kellerbier? Some of my favourite examples are from Hacker-Pschorr, Spezial and Stoertebeker.

http://byo.com/mead/item/955-kellerbier-style-profile

Byo styled and profiled it. I like Kellerbier too. Creemore Springs brewery does a nice one for a few months of the year here in Ontario.

However, it amazes me how yeast and haze can really change flavor when not filtered out. Steamwhistle brewery will let you taste unfiltered samples at their brewery and yeah, not filtering and low carb can have a huge impact of flavor, mouthfeel, etc.

Additionally, it may be some exposure to lightly toasted oak.

The one commercial example I had of this style was revoltingly sweet (like a crappy commercial altbier but even worse if that is possible) but I don't think that's what a good one is like.

ksiserdom1.jpg

Stay away, stay far far away.

I think the unique flavor you are noticing is a soft ester profile from a slightly warmer than normal (for a lager) fermentation profile. These beer should be fermented and lagered (if at all) at cellar temperatures (55-58-ish F). Hence the name (Keller is German for cellar, in case you didn't already know that).

When making mine, I ferment in that range and lager for only 2-4 weeks at around 55, but no lower than 50F, and I've had some excellent success.

FWIW, they should be drunk at the same temperatures to fully appreciate all the flavor they offer.

Just for the love of God, don't add and oak like the BYO article says to. The author was smoking something the day he wrote that.

Back