only second all grain-missed OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunc7

Reaction score
Made a Cream Ale yesterday. My second attempt at all grain. the first batch, a porter worked fine but I believe I made some mistakes on this one. first off I measured wrong and put too much water in mash. i put 2.5 gallons for 8 lbs grain. I'm not sure what problems that will cause. any ways i sparged until I had 6 gallons and then boiled. everything was going well until around 45 min I noticed it was already at 5 gallons my target volume. so I let it go another 5 min and then stopped the boil. My target gravity was 1.040 but it came in at 1.030.
Should I have boiled the full 60 min or am I looking at another problem.

Made a Cream Ale yesterday. My second attempt at all grain. the first batch, a porter worked fine but I believe I made some mistakes on this one. first off I measured wrong and put too much water in mash. i put 2.5 gallons for 8 lbs grain. I'm not sure what problems that will cause. any ways i sparged until I had 6 gallons and then boiled. everything was going well until around 45 min I noticed it was already at 5 gallons my target volume. so I let it go another 5 min and then stopped the boil. My target gravity was 1.040 but it came in at 1.030.
Should I have boiled the full 60 min or am I looking at another problem.

There are a lot of variables in AG brewing you need to be aware of:
1.you used a ratio of 1.25qts/lb of grain which is fine, you can go up to 1.5 if you want.
2.Temperature of mash plays a par tin conversion
3.Quality of the crush-if the LHBS milled them for you it was probably a little course, have them run through twice for a finer crush and this will increase your mash/lauter efficiency
4.Learn how to take a pre-boil gravity reading to evaluate this efficiency number. this also gives you input in whether you need to increase boil time or add DME
5.Be sure your boil off rate is correct
6.Be sure you are using a calibrated thermometer and hydrometer and don't forget to temperature correct your hydrometer readings. Anything over 100F is not really accurate, the closer you can read at 60F is the best-did you do this with your readings?

It sounds as though you got a poor crush and poor conversion so your pre-boil reading would have been very low, even after the boil and condensing the wort your OG is low. How do you know you hit 5 gallons in 45 minutes? once the wort cools it shrinks, are you sure you had 5 gallons or did you then top off to 5 gallons? the addition of water would have also lowered your OG.

no these are thing i didnt know. it was 5 gallons hot it was closer to 4.5 when it cooled. still learning a lot! is there a good reference place to figure your water volumes to use for recipes?

For my 5 gallon batches I sparge out 6.5 gallons and it usually boils down to just over 5. For my 15 gallon batches (which uses a bigger kettle) I usually do 18 gallons and it boils down to just over 15. I've just taken notes over time of the outside temp and how much I've lost during boil each time.

If there is a little extra in the kettle I'm not concerned, I'm usually a little on the heavy side for the grain bill so my gravity won't suffer. And if the ABV comes out high.. :D

no these are thing i didnt know. it was 5 gallons hot it was closer to 4.5 when it cooled. still learning a lot! is there a good reference place to figure your water volumes to use for recipes?

Brewing software like Beersmith or mash calculators are really a great tool for doing all grain!

Also, Google How To Brew by Palmer and read it or get the more current version in book.

Well 2.5 gallons with 8LBS grain is 1.25qt/LB which most use 1.25-1.5qts/LB so I think your fine there. I usually try to get 5.5gallons into fermenter so I wind up with 5 finished gallons so I usually sparge till I get 6.5-7gallons wort collected. As for the lower than expected efficiency could just be as simple as not as good a grind on the grains as most efficiency problems are related to that. It could also be your leaving a fair bit if wort in the bottom of your mash tun. Which would also effect you efficiency if I'm not mistaken. If I am someone will be along shortly and correct me.

Brewing software like Beersmith or mash calculators are really a great tool for doing all grain!

Also, Google How To Brew by Palmer and read it or get the more current version in book.

+1 for BeerSmith! By the time I got done "playing" with it, I had answers to questions I always had, as well as new questions I had to get answers to that I never would have thought of.

Back