Seeking opinions on 3 possible grain-mill motors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideshow_ben

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought an MM3 grain mill and from reading these threads, I know I need a motor running around 150-250 RPM and with high torque (40 in-lb or more). Everyone was using models from surpluscenter.com but they are all out, so I've been scouring ebay for other options.

I found this RAE 90V DC motor at 226 RPM, and this RAE motor at 120 RPM. Both seem to fit the bill and cost around $45 shipped, but require another $35 voltage supply and about $10 in parts to connect to the mill.

On the other hand a lot of people have suggested using this low-speed drill from harbor freight. It is cheaper but I'm concerned about the net effect on torque of slowing the motor down to about half its max RPMs and also of using a drill versus a dedicated and fixed/mounted motor.

Anyone with experience in motorizing mills want to weigh in on this?

Thanks so much!!!

-ben

A drill works great especially if you all ready have one or need an excuse to buy a new one. I would get a Dewalt or something as you know it will last.

If you decide on a drill, check the local pawn shops. You will be able to get a better quality drill for the money. They are always loaded with electric drills.

Hey Ben,
It depends on what you want. Highly portable and multi use (drill motor) or semi portable or not at all with a mounted electric motor.
I have a motor on mine built into a box that I can easily move that I like a lot.
If you decide you want a motor I think I have two or three here.
If interested I can dig them out and let you know price and specs.

Kevin

I got a motor off Ebay that was for a hospital bed, works great, already runs on 120v so just had to wire it up to a plug. Other than that I'd say go for the drill as it is cheap and you could use it for something else if needed later.

I use a Milwaukee right angle drill. Plenty of torque and the rpm seems right. I like to be able to tear mine down so I don't have to dedicate any permanent space to my mill. It only takes about a minute to set up.

I have a MM3 also with the base and hopper. I screwed the base to a bucket lid and cut the tabs off the lid so it doesn't lock on. Just set it on an empty bucket and mill away.

Here's a pic:
2010-06-10_09_22_34.jpg

The right angle drill is nice. I set it on the second bucket, lock the trigger and it's hands free.

phoenixs4r said:
There's like 4 threads going for mill motors.....

I believe I started 2 of them... same exact question... no great answer yet, particularly since I want direct and not pulley... so I'm using the harbor freight drill and it's working fine, for now.

Latest posts

Back