Root Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
Had a buddy give me some roots of hops that he has grown for years.
He just handed me a bag...Look inside the bag and this root is like a foot long.
Bines here and there along the root.

Question here is, Other roots i have got has only been like 4 inchs long or so.
Will this being a foot long give it a stronger grow cycle than the rest?

In the world of hop rhizomes, Does size matter? :tank:

Thanks

In the world of hop rhizomes, Does size matter? :tank:

Consider that the rhizome is basically an energy storage mechanism and the roots supply water, the bines supply energy from light, and the runners are a reproductive mechanism.

So yes, size matters, as it means more stored energy available and more bud sites for bines to emerge from.

I was lucky enough to find a local guy selling rhizomes on craig's list. I had a similar situation. I bought a 3" thick rhizome from on line, and from this guy I got a large zip lock bag with 5 6" long thick rhizomes. If a hop grower has the opportunity, get them local. It'll always be a win big senario.

The same thing happened to me last year. I guy I work with said "Hey you want some hops?" He has along his trellised on a fence the following: Halletaur, Tettenanger, Nugget, Cascade, Saaz, and a couple of other varieties. They are very healthy and are going like weeds. He doesn't need a gazillion pounds of hops. In fact he mows a lot of them that grow too far away from the fence. Anyway, he dug me some Tettenanger, Nugget and Hallertuaer, I got about 6 rhizomes about a foot long each from them. I figure for free what the hell. As a result I made good beer and just ordered some Sterling and Cascade, my friend can't locate the exact spot of his cascade.

:rockin:

Latest posts

Back