Sweet Stout w. Honey malt AG formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to formulate a sweet stout recipe using honey malt instead of lactose since I have some friends etc that are lactose intollerant.

I haven't made a sweet stout in years and this will be my first AG attempt at one.

How does this look?

Gambrinus Pale ESB Malt: 4.0 kg (8.8 lbs)
Gambrinus Honey Malt: 1.0 kg(2.2 lbs)
Roasted Barley: 0.125 kg (4.4 oz)
Chocolate Malt: 0.125 kg (4.4oz)​

Any suggestions for a hop profile?

Denny's Brew said:
I'm trying to formulate a sweet stout recipe using honey malt instead of lactose since I have some friends etc that are lactose intollerant.

I haven't made a sweet stout in years and this will be my first AG attempt at one.

How does this look?

Gambrinus Pale ESB Malt: 4.0 kg (8.8 lbs)
Gambrinus Honey Malt: 1.0 kg(2.2 lbs)
Roasted Barley: 0.125 kg (4.4 oz)
Chocolate Malt: 0.125 kg (4.4oz)
Any suggestions for a hop profile?

Goldings and fuggle, around 25-30 IBUs, IMHO.

Key to getting this beer sweet without using lactose is a HIGH mash temp. Around 158° will get you there.

Trouble getting Goldings locally lately, but lots of Williamette around. What would you suggest for a hop schedule?

Single infusion @158 or is there any advantage to doing a step mash with this beer?

I don't do step mashes so I can't comment. Bottom line is you want a lot of "unfermentables" to make up for the sweetness that the lactose won't give you. But you know that!

1 oz. Fuggle @ 60 mins
1 oz. Fuggle @ 10 mins

That = about 27 IBUs in my calculations. :D

Back