Fermenting a Saison in a hot house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottholtog

Reaction score
Hey,

I need a bit a of advise for this 5 gallon Saison I'm fermenting in my hot house in Santa Clara, CA. It's been 8 days since brew day and nothing much is happing. I'm not such if heat got to the yeast or not.

When I brewed, the house temperature was around 80F but tried my best to keep a closet around 75F. I awoke the next morning to great bubble action but had to leave town for 5 day and when I returned, there was nothing happening. I took some pictures on the 6th day of fermentation and wanted to get your opinion. Is it okay or I'm I screwed?

IMG_4604.jpg

IMG_4605.jpg

IMG_4606.jpg

If you had bubble action the first day, I would say you are probably done. I'm surprised there is no significant ring where the kraeusen would have been.

Looks like a lot of yeast at the bottom, so it reproduced and worked.

You need to somehow take a gravity reading.

^ Yup. And don't be scared to let it go above 80F. I took mine outside for a couple of days when it was 95F outside in the afternoon to help it finish up. What yeast did you use?

I've never used Belle Saison, but from what I've heard it doesn't need to go as hot as the Dupont strain, which is what I usually use. I'm sure it can handle into the 80's though, especially if most of the fermentation is done, as it appears to be.

I've never used Belle Saison, but from what I've heard it doesn't need to go as hot as the Dupont strain, which is what I usually use. I'm sure it can handle into the 80's though, especially if most of the fermentation is done, as it appears to be.

Take a gravity reading, my guess is you'll be surprised at how low it (probably) will show. But I'm with Calder, weird there's no ring after the krausen.

There's a krausen ring in your fermenter- the bulk of fermentation is over (hot=fast) and now it's just finishing up. There may or may not be any more airlock activity but depending on the gravity of the beer, it'll likely be done in the next day or two.

I'm experienced with the belle saison dry yeast. Its probably finished. Usually finishes (for me) around 1.004 or lower within 5 days. I don't necessarily keep an eye on the temps, just like to ferment in a warm closet during warm weather, or wrap in insulated blankets during cold weather, but my guess is usually ferments around 75-80 for me in the summer.

I just bottled last night. Great success. Only thing I regret it not filling it to 5 gallons. My aim was around 6% but ended up at 8% because I only had 4.25 gallons. Thanks for the help everyone!

Glad to hear it turned out well! As for the gravity, chalk it up to learning. There are worse things in the world than a nice 8% saison, even if it's not what you were shooting for :)

Latest posts

Back