sweetening with lactose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
I have some hard cider that I will be bottling in about two weeks, and I had planned to make it sweet and carbonated. From reading other posts, I had decided to sweeten with lactose and prime with dextrose.

Yesterday at the homebrew store, the owner discouraged me from doing that. He suggested that I either 1) kill off the yeast and have still, sweet cider, or 2) leave it dry and carbonate and add a sugar syrup to the glass each time before I pour the cider.

I was just hoping that anyone that has made sweet, carbonated cider would share their wisdom and advice. Thanks!

I used splenda (non fermentable)to sweeten. Turned out fantastic. I force carb in a keg, but you could (once the taste is exact), add priming sugar and prime naturally.

Lactose is also going to add a certain "mouth feel" to your cider and if you're looking for something light and crisp, may not be a good match.

BierMuncher said:
I used splenda (non fermentable)to sweeten. Turned out fantastic.

Did you notice any aftertaste from the Splenda? I don't hate the taste of it, but I can definitely tell if something is made from that and not sugar. Was it an issue for you?

Thanks for the help!

jmulligan said:
Did you notice any aftertaste from the Splenda? I don't hate the taste of it, but I can definitely tell if something is made from that and not sugar. Was it an issue for you?

Thanks for the help!
No issues with after taste.

I kept the flavor relatively dry so the splenda was just there to balance out the flavor to the "slightly" sweet side.

Back