pastuerized juice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huck-E-bear

Reaction score
I've never made cider before but I M looking for cider and the only apple juice I can find with out perservatives is pasteurized and I heard from soe people its a no go? Why is this? Can use it anyways as long as there are no perservatives?

You can use pasteurized cider with great results. The batch I brewed 4 weeks ago using pasteurized local cider finished at 1.000 and is sitting quite content in secondary containers, quite clear with a nice little layer of sediment at the bottom.

The cyser I started last weekend using cider from the same source is happily chugging along.

Some have said that pasteurized cider produces a less clear result, but I can only speak to how well it fermented.

It's the preservatives you have to avoid. I believe that ascorbic acid is acceptable, but anything with 'sulfate' in it will kill your yeast.

Latest posts

Back