Mixing wort when priming sugar solution is still hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
I bottled last night for the first time in 4 years and did everything by memory. After I boiled my priming sugar in water I only let it sit for about 5-10 minutes before I siphoned the wort on top of it. I can't remember if I had to let the sugar water cool down more or not. It was still hot to touch but not scolding. I'm guessing if I did kill a bunch of yeast it would just be the first poor little bastards to hit the sugar water. Thoughts?

You'll be fine. The volume you were pouring into was probably big enough to cool it down without damage. Next time you might want to make mini water bath to bring the temp down.

I always gently pour half of my priming solution in straight off the stove into the bottling bucket as I rack. Then the rest at the 2-3 gallon mark. As tagz said, the volume of priming solution is so small it won't make a difference.

Yup - I don't bother to cool it at all - right into the bottling bucket from the stove, and the wort right on top of it. Never failed to carbonate.

I do as Hammy does. Pour half the solution in the bucket right off the stove and then pour the rest in after a couple gallons has siphoned.

Back