Dual Primary Regulator - Opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomcat333

Reaction score
So I'm purchasing parts for the ever-common (yet totally exciting) Sanyo 4912 conversion. I have pretty much everything covered except for the CO2 regulators. I want individual control for the two kegs and could go with a primary and two secondaries, or I could go with a dual primary (below). Has anybody used this? Will it be able to hold its own weight when attached to the tank? Just curious before I spend the $$$.... Thanks guys!

642-Battery.jpg

- Andy

I have a dual bodied regulator for my kegerator, and have always liked the ability to run two kegs at variable pressure. This way you can server to beers at separate pressure, or carbonate one while serving another.

Here's how I ran the CO2 lines through the side:
barbs_both.jpg

Well despite my better judgement and your good advice, I ordered the dual primary regulator. If it's dimensions are what the guy quoted me it should be a snug, but okay, fit. I'll post it up though so nobody else has to endure the grief if I screwed up. Wish me luck.

I'm inclined to think that it won't fit. I have a dual gauge regulator with a Y adapter, and it BARELY fits in my 4911. Everything has to be arranged just so, or I can't close the door.

Even outside the fridge, with such a long regulator a 5lb tank will be very unstable standing on the floor. You'd need some way to secure it, so it doesn't fall and damage your gauges.

You're going to love your kegerator, I really enjoy mine.

With the door inside panel left in, the tank has to go in the center between the two kegs if you want it inside - as the previous poster indicated, it's a tight fit with just one dual-gauge regulator, it's pretty close to the wall.

I don't have any clear pics of it, but here's one with the keg in the way - you can at least see where that top gauge of my dual-gauge regulator is poking up in the back. Now imagine how much further that dual regulator you linked needs to stick out
DSCF0877.JPG

If you remove the panel you might be able to pull the kegs far enough forward to put the tank far to one side and make enough room for the regulator, but I dunno.

Yeah my thought was to raise the tank and regulator up on a small platform (stole that from someone on here, thanks) and to take out the door panel so that the tank can sit all the way to the right. The interior width of the Sanyo is just under 19". The micromatic guy told me that the regulator is ~12 inches wide. So 12" + 5.25" for a tank (minus some overlap) sounds like it would fit to me if the above mentioned idea works. If it doesn't work though, I'll either just run the gas lines from the outside or return it for a different setup. I'll let you know... :)

I recently purchased an Avanti kegerator that has been fitted for two taps. It will just hold two cornies and the CO2 bottle with dual regulators. Eventually I will drill another hole for the second hose so I can keep the bottle outside, but for now it's in the kegerator with the kegs.

The dual regulator is heavy enough that the CO2 bottle will not stand up on its own. But, because it's a tight fit in the kegerator the kegs actually help prop it up and it all fits perfectly, but I have to get everything positioned just right for the door to shut and seal.

kegerator1.JPG

Okay, tank and dual primary regulator in hand. They fit in the Sanyo, but like I mentioned, they'll require a platform to sit farther back.

Sweet!

10254-TankandRegulator.JPG

thomcat333 said:
Okay, tank and dual primary regulator in hand. They fit in the Sanyo, but like I mentioned, they'll require a platform to sit farther back.

Sweet!
]

Even with a shelf in the back, my tank still has to go right in the center to allow enough room for two kegs. Perhaps removing the door shelves/can holder would give you enough wiggle room.

9557-Kegerator3.jpg

Yep. I'll be taking the door panel out to get the extra room required.

kilroy said:
Those are usally extremely pricey:

Try this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8503402@N08/545278347/

And the post that has further info
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9650

Kilroy

Thanks for the reference. If you dig through the flickr photos, you'll find my versions of cramming a lot of regulators in a small space, like here. Notice the primary is upside down (which seems to work just fine), and the photo referenced above, while it has all the parts listed, was later changed... click back through the images to see the final build.

kvh

Latest posts

Back