Bottle aging after carboy aging ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
My cider had been aging for 7 months when I decided to bottle carb it last month. As all my freshly pressed cider, I always let them age for a least 6 months before tasting them to make sure the yeast had enough time to clean up after themselves. When carbing my bottles, the yeast had to go back to work and my question is if I also have to let them age in the bottle after all sugar have been consume. I opened a bottle and the carbonation is level is great but the cider does not seem to be as smooth as 1 moth ago before carbonation.

Can the carbonation process leave a bad taste in cider like the one in a freshly fermented cider that was not given to me to age? If the answer is yes, how long should I let the bottle age in order to make sure the cider is as smooth as before carbing ?

Thanks.

The carbonation process will acidify the cider somewhat. Maybe this is why it doesn't taste as smooth. I doubt that there would need too much time for aging after bottle carbing the cider. I've made mead using honey and apple juice, and did notice the CO2 just after primary fermenting giving the mead an acidic odor. I actually thought it had turned to vinegar, which fortunately had not.

Latest posts

Back