Fermentaiton Duration Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirstubbsalot

Reaction score
So I wanted to enter a regional homebrew competition (entries are due in 2 weeks, judging takes place in one month) but kinda dragged my feet. I didnt get around to brewing until yesterday, when I brewed a batch of 70 Shilling Scottish Ale with an OG of 1.040 using WL028 Edinburgh yeast. Showed extremely vigorous fermentation a couple hours after pitching a massive starter.

Although it's pretty late in the game, I thought maybe I'd steal some beer from the fermenter in 2 weeks to throw into bottles (carb using tablets), and enter those into the competition. Then I could let the rest of the batch ferment longer (properly).

So my question is: Do you think it would even be worth trying to enter such a young beer? Obviously I need to make sure FG is stabilized before bottling (no bottle bombs). Lets assume my FG is stabilized and where I want it in 2 weeks - what kinds of effects would bottling after only 2 weeks have on the beer?

I'd do it, 2 weeks is a good amount of time for a 1.04 beer. make sure to save a few bottles so you can compare it to the rest.

Give it a try. The beer you keep will be much better, but a month to condition will help. What is the worst that could happen?

Back