supply hose caught fire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boo boo

Reaction score
A few weeks back while boiling up a pilsener, my supply hose connection to my turkey frier caught fire. I shut down my burner, disconnected my hose, taped up the hose ( really well ) and finished my boil.
I used it again to do an ale and was looking around locally for a replacement hose. Nothing local, so I decided to repair it myself.
I cut 4 inches of hose off, burned out the rubber end so only the barb was exposed on the nozzle end. Put some high temperture silicone around the barb and worm clamped it together.
Tried it out and tried to set it a fire using a BBQ lighter around my repair. No fire, no leaks.
Next time anything like that happens, I'll hard pipe it with copper tubing.

Anyone else have any trouble with hoses catching fire.

The day mine did was a hot sunny day with no wind and I still had my wind sheild attached. the heat from the burner melted the hose
where it connected to the burner, causing a gas leak which then ignited.

Friend of mine (by accident) used a natural gas burner with propane. The flame was so hot, it caught the grass on fire, and he had to keep cooling the gas line with water.

He used a 23 jet NG burner, but it was marked Propane.

Lucky either of you didn't blow up.

Get with somebody that knows what they're doing with burners.

Man, that totally happened to me! My supply hose was kind of flipped up and came in contact with the bottom of my pot and the flame. I noticed it a while later and I'm damn lucky the gas didn't ignite! I shut her down and totally ordered a new regulator and hose assembly. The cost of the new parts was like $20...way cheaper than living with 3rd degree burns over half my body ;)

when i was like, 15 or 16, i was grilling at my parents. I looked outside and the super cheap plastic (not rubber, not silicone...but PLASTIC) supply hose melted, and there were 2-3 foot flames spewing out of the supply hose, as the propane tank rolled round on its side.

I ran outside with a pitcher of water, and a well placed toss put the fire out and I shut off the cylinder ,which was of course iced over since it was dumping so quickly.

I'm 30 now...so safety regulations have improved in 15 years ;)

Brewer3401 said:
Lucky either of you didn't blow up.

Get with somebody that knows what they're doing with burners.

No chance of blowing up like that. The big danger would be fire.
I'm kinda used to fire as my trade is Oil Burner Mechanic and I deal
with high pressure burners all day long.

Basically what I'm saying is to check your hoses from time to time
to see if any cracks can be seen or even if the soft hose is starting to harden up.
If I wasn't secure in my repair, I would just hard plumb it with soft copper tubing and flare fittings, and eliminate the rubber hose altogether.

boo boo said:
...The day mine did was a hot sunny day with no wind and I still had my wind sheild attached. the heat from the burner melted the hose
where it connected to the burner, causing a gas leak which then ignited.
Note to self:

"Live with the wind...do not use a wind shield..."

Back