Mash Tun Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I'm looking into converting a 60qt Igloo Island Breeze cooler into my mash tun. I've seen may threads/videos where people use copper pipes and fittings to connect their braided hoses to their ball valves. I don't know if I'm up for the added expense of soldering copper pipes and fittings in order to make the connections. Do I have any other options? I think PVC may be easier to work with but is it safe up to 170/175*F?

Basically I need to make this:

PICT0017.jpg

You could use CPVC..basically a high temp pvc, you can find it in any hardware store.

You could use CPVC..basically a high temp pvc, you can find it in any hardware store.

Is there a "food grade" glue that can be used to connect the CPVC fittings together? I've also seen PEX, is this similar to CPVC?

Hello...if you go with cpvc, then you shouldnt glue it together...the pieces fit so tight together that no glue is needed, and you want to tear it apart to clean it. Purchasing is always easier, but always more expensive!
No matter which way you go, your brewing beer, so you cant go wrong!

My manifold is made from CPVC. No chlorine issues.

I also use an Island Breeze cooler. Mine is smaller though. It will hold temps very well! Also, don't glue it together. It will hold together while mashing and sparging and then you can take it apart to clean out. Just like SD-Slim said.

I've been keeping reef tanks for several years and have seen first hand disasters caused by leached chemicals from cpvc used in plumbing tanks together... Take it for what it's worth, it does leach... As you know, the C in CPVC stands for chlorinated and if I'm not mistaken I think there may also be anti-bacterial type chemicals impregnated in it as well.

(EDIT) Ran across a fairly in-depth report on the matter if anyone's interested...

http://www.stormingmedia.us/71/7173/A717303.html

My advise would simply be if you're using cpvc and experiencing fermentation problems that you can't seem to put a finger on, try a batch w/o cpvc and see what happens.

Do not use cpvc, it will leach chlorine into your brew especially at higher temps.

I have to disagree with not using CPVC, it is true that the resin does contain chlorine (derived from salt)...however it has been used since the 50's for drinking water in many applications and is regulated by Health Agencies and the EPA. However since I am not a scientist, and havent performed my own studies...I can only tell you that my CPVC set-up has never produced a band-aid flavor to my beer...additionally I have a stainless steel tubing set-up but find the CPVC easier to work with.

SD-SLIM said:
I have to disagree with not using CPVC, it is true that the resin does contain chlorine (derived from salt)...however it has been used since the 50's for drinking water in many applications and is regulated by Health Agencies and the EPA. However since I am not a scientist, and havent performed my own studies...I can only tell you that my CPVC set-up has never produced a band-aid flavor to my beer...additionally I have a stainless steel tubing set-up but find the CPVC easier to work with.

That's cool, I just wanted everyone to know that it does leach in quantities adequate enough to be harmful to marine invertebrates. Based on my experience this is a fact. Whether or not said quantities are significant enough to cause problems in brewing is another issue and it sounds as though based on your experience it does not. The link listed in my post earlier contains all the scientific data you should need if you'd like to delve deeper into this subject. Happy brewing!

hope2perc said:
My manifold is made from CPVC. No chlorine issues.

I also use an Island Breeze cooler. Mine is smaller though. It will hold temps very well! Also, don't glue it together. It will hold together while mashing and sparging and then you can take it apart to clean out. Just like SD-Slim said.

sounds alot like my setup...I also use CPVC for my sparge arm. I originally had regular PVC, but after 2 batches it sagged like an old lady.

switched to CPVC....NO PROBLEMS!

5 batches through it...6 by the end of the week :)

That's cool, I just wanted everyone to know that it does leach in quantities adequate enough to be harmful to marine invertebrates. Based on my experience this is a fact. Whether or not said quantities are significant enough to cause problems in brewing is another issue and it sounds as though based on your experience it does not. The link listed in my post earlier contains all the scientific data you should need if you'd like to delve deeper into this subject. Happy brewing!

if you really want get technical.. copper is also bad to use in a marine environment... yet it is acceptable for brewing

Mysticmead said:
if you really want get technical.. copper is also bad to use in a marine environment... yet it is acceptable for brewing

Absolutely!!! Copper in any amount is deadly to marine inverts... In fact, once a reef tank has been contaminated by copper it is basically ruined as far as reef-keeping is concerned.

I realize that we are probably talking about very low dissolved concentrations of both chloramines and copper here, probably tenths of ppm's. The only point I'm trying to make here is that cpvc does leach, at the very least, some quantity of chloramines into whatever liquid put through it. For that fact, I would elect not to use it in my brew setup.

Just my $.02

Headbanger I appreciate your $.02 ...hope you don't feel like we don't, and perhaps over the years the beer has blunted our ability to detect chloramines!! Happy Brewing!

SD-SLIM said:
Headbanger I appreciate your $.02 ...hope you don't feel like we don't, and perhaps over the years the beer has blunted our ability to detect chloramines!! Happy Brewing!

Understood, I appreciate it. Same to you Slim- Happy brewing!

Latest posts

Back