Apply Labels that will last a Couple of hours in a Ice Cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayoff

Reaction score
Hey guys.. I want to label some bottles for a new years party. They will have to be kept in a ice cooler. Any Ideas on a adhesive that will hold up to the water for a couple of hours? I am just going to do a around 12 bottles with labels so I do not mind having to do some work to get them off afterwards.

I get label sheets online. Check these out:

http://www.begalabel.com/Usage/Shipping-Labels-c14/

They will stand under water for a few hours. In fact, when I soak then in oxyclean and water overnight I still have to scrape them off. I buy the sheet that is just 1 big label, and then I can cut it down to the sizes I want after I print. It's this one:
http://www.begalabel.com/Usage/Shipping-Labels/8-1-2-x-11-Full-Sheet-Shipping-Labels-p54.html

Also, use laserjet or pigment ink to print. They won't run when wet.

Thanks for the quick reply.. That looks like those would work.. I figured label sheets were the way to go... Just wasn't sure how long they would stick in the water.. Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.. That looks like those would work.. I figured label sheets were the way to go... Just wasn't sure how long they would stick in the water.. Thanks

Sure! They work for me anyways. Should be find for a couple hours in ice, though if they are left for a long time they might get soft.

There might be a "gloss" option too. Those might hold up better, depending on what kind of ink you use.

Hey guys.. I want to label some bottles for a new years party. They will have to be kept in a ice cooler. Any Ideas on a adhesive that will hold up to the water for a couple of hours? I am just going to do a around 12 bottles with labels so I do not mind having to do some work to get them off afterwards.

I've used Avery Weatherproof labels, they'll last well over a few hours in a cooler. I usually mark the caps these days but if I want to label beers for a party those are the ones I use. Also, they're easy to find because Staples carries them.

Removing them is the only problem. I peel them off, then soak the bottles in oxyclean and scrape the glue off with a putty knife. Actually, when I labeled all my beers I would just put a new label over the old label.

Back