Into the last stretch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
So, here I am, few weeks from bottling my first batch. Just wanted to check and make sure I don't need to pickup anything else in preparation for bottling. My intent was to do the Cinncinati Pale Ale recipe form John Palmer's online guide. Looking at the beer in the carboy now it looks a lil darker (I'd say a kindda dark brownish) than I expected. I've not sampled it nor have I taken gravity readings yet (newb mistake, forgot to take an OG reading). On July 1st I'll start my 3 days of readings before bottling.

Anywho, I have a capper, caps, auto-siphon, racking cane, bottling bucket w/ spout, and soon will have bottles. Planning some TF2 and non-twist off bottles next weekend for that. Anything I'm missing, or will want to get before bottling day?

Actually, yes I' ve a bottle filler, forgot to mention. And I also have a bag of dextrose.

To be honest I had no idea that was a bottle filler, I got all my supplies second hand from a friend moving and didn't have room. He didn't get a chance to explain all the parts and piece. I had been wondering what that one was for :)

I got my supplies from Gavora's. I really like Gavora's as a Wine/Liquor store, but thier home brew supplies all seemed to have a layer of dust on em. I think next time I might order from the place outta Anchorage. I think they run specials on in-state shipping.

I wasn't aware of a brew club here actually. I know there's the brewing course at UAF, but figured I'm a smart guy, I can figure it out without paying for an entire class :)

Make sure you use the proper amount of carbonation. Also, make sure that you have a full five gallons so that the carbonation calculations are correct. I didn't top off my first batch enough and put enough sugar for five gallons when I only had four. I now have beer that is too carbonated. I'll never make that mistake again.

Eric

Back