Yeast didnt activate!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyTaps

Reaction score
Im making a batch of pumpkin ale and used wyeast 1272. I activated pouch 2 hrs before pitching to the fermenter and it swelled a little bit but not too much. Its been 12 hours and nothing has happened at all. My wort took 1.5 hours to chill due to lack of ice, but i dont think that is the problem. My question is how long do i wait, and if nothing happens can i go purchase a new yeast pack and add this late?

Depends on yeast viability, lag phase can last up to 2-3 days.
It is only 12 hrs after you pitch it so relax, there is nothing to worry about.

I forgot to add 2 other variables: my wort size is 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon better bottle (headroom issue?), and that this was a very sugar rich recipe that had 2- 16 oz cans of pumpkin and a teaspoon of pumpkin spice and turbinado...thoughts?

I forgot to add 2 other variables: my wort size is 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon better bottle (headroom issue?), and that this was a very sugar rich recipe that had 2- 16 oz cans of pumpkin and a teaspoon of pumpkin spice and turbinado...thoughts?

Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start, but if you used a whole package of yeast in a 2.5 gallon batch (depending on the OG), it should start up within 24 hours. Don't worry.

Back